ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

51 Reg 172,KEEPS GOING INTO LIMP HOME MODE ?

172 CUP
Hi I was just wondering if anybody could shed any light on this. I've had the Clio six weeks and it started playing up, popping both warning lights on the dash & the square box with the zig zag lines on and the EML light too. Now i've had it in the garage, replaced the throttle as they thought that was at fault. Now its still doing the exact same fault, it goes into limp mode and thats it or starts to rev itself?? Then it pretty much cuts out and its fine again untill the next time? Also theres probably been lots of these issues i was hoping someone may know the true cause of the fault possibly as its getting not just anoying now but also costly everytime i have to re-book it back in the garage again, as they are starting to slowly give up on it too,any ideas folks?? if so would be a great help thanks.

BMW M135i
Re: 51 Reg 172,KEEPS GOING INTO LIMP HOME MODE ???????????

What were the fault codes on it?

Throttle Pedal if not probably a loom fault.

172 CUP
Re: 51 Reg 172,KEEPS GOING INTO LIMP HOME MODE ???????????

Thats what im thinking maybe a loom fault??? its fine one minute and the next just starts running like crap,i did the same 52 mile round trip today as yesterday and not one problem today didnt do it once and yesterday it did it three times,its so far came up with throttle pedal position sensor and the next time it said throttle pedal position sensor?????

172 CUP
Sorry to sound daft ,is that the electric sensor under the accelorator pedal the big black box with the wires plugged into it thanks,

172 ph1, r5, clio16v
Had the same issue with one the other week turned out to be corrosion on the ecu multi plug pins, take ecu out clean pins and main plug with contact cleaner and screw driver then pop back in. If you have access to a diagnostic machine you need to check the pedal position sensor voltages these should read the same on both sensors if not you have a resistance issue usually corroded or broken wires on ecu plug or pedal sensor plug.
Hope this helps.

172 CUP
hi dave thanks for the info do you know what voltages should be running on the sensor? as my dads a spark and he wanted to see if he could take a look at it the weekend to check the voltage also,and il also clean the plugs up on the ecu, it seems it only does it now and then but ive noticed the damp weather isnt helping too sometimes.

172 CUP
Right one quick question,if it is the foot pedal that is at fault the electronic box attatched can it be opened up and the contacts cleaned up first before replacing the pedal again or am i wasting my time? seems to be getting a little more often its putting the warning lights up too now aswell so im going to try and fix it before something gives up all together,wether that maybe me or the car,getting a rather bit fed up of it now too,

Volvo S60 T5
Corroded wire between engine fuse box and ecu plug, you will need to strip all the loom insulation off and carefully inspect the wiring.
Runs from fuse box/over gearbox and then to engine ecu.