ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5th gear gone

RB 182 cup
So I was driving down the motorway yesterday and my 5th gear decided to give in, got no drive what so ever in it, and you can hear the metal pieces banging around when driving along. I'm not currently going to use the car untill I get it fixed but would like some advice,

Is it cheaper and easier to replace the box with a second hand one? Does it have to be the same as what I have now (182cup) or can it be any of the sports? And also is it quite simple to replace?

Any advice will be a big help :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
if u fancy a crack urself then drain box oil and whip 5th gear cap off, see if you can see the damaged cog

its easy enough to remove it, 3 bolts for the end cap and one that holds gear on

RB 182 cup
Ahh great, thanks guys :) I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what he says, if it's cheaper to just replace the 5th cog and that's all that's knackered then I'll do it that way. All the other gears are fine, you can just hear metal knocking around when accelerating.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
True but usually if it's just fifth 90% of the bits stay in end cap n what small bits do make it into main case will come out with the oil.

for the record this has always been my experience,if your in any doubt get a pro in.I go through that many boxes it's worth the risk as swapping box only takes couple of hours.