ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5th Gear - No Acceleration?

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v
Hi guys!!

I was just hoping to get some of your thoughts on my situation.
I now have a 16-Valver, its a peach of a car, the only one like it in the country too.
However, I had an RSI 8v before this, with a decat and an induction kit and 5zigen exhaust, I was able to get 133mph out of it.
My 16valver hits 110 in 4th, I change to 5th and then im on about 5200revs and the 110 figure seems to be a brick wall for me!

I had problems with my RSI doing this when I had 17s on it - bigger wheels slowed it down - obvious.

My 16-Valver has 15's on it with 55 profile tyres on it, not 45's, which I cant see making much of a difference, and I have these tyres on cos my car is meant to look like a rally car.

I have a scorpion back box on it, hasnt been decat yet, and has a green cotton filter on it...but I thought these things were supposed to do 130mph as standard!!

Any ideas why I seem to be starved of power at 110mph?
The engine doesnt even seem to be struggling and seems like it wants more but the revs just flatten off. I dont understand!

Please Help. Thanks/.

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v
So youre telling me that this engine is running at least 20mph/2500revs short of its potential??? That seems a bit far-fetched, surely.

Is there any cost-efficient ways of sorting this out?

Cheers

''I had an RSI 8v before this, with a decat and an induction kit and 5zigen exhaust, I was able to get 133mph out of it.''

haha/. yeah sure.

think somebody's speedo needs checking.

as for the valver.. maybe its been driven round by a girl at 2000 revs for most of its life and hasnt been ragged before

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v
Seriously, 133 with ease. If my speedo was out, it was minimal. I had 195/45/15's on the rsi. It was a terrific engine and I was surprised myself.

So is there any way for me to "break her in" so to speak?

The engine came from another shell and has only done 80,000 miles, Im definetly sure I should have more top end though!
Anymore feedback appreciated.

Cheers

not saying it is that.. but when my bro got his megane.. it obviously had been driven around slow as hell all its life as it would struggle to hit 90mph

goes ok now though i think.