ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Play in gear shift - options in 2023?

I've got the usual play in the gearstick in my clio and I'd like to address it but not sure how best to and most threads are from a while back.

I had a BMS Shifter on my track car in the past but these (along with megane scenic housings) seem to have dried up

Yanoo's stiff shift seems to have been about the perfect answer but I understand he's sadly no longer with us and these are unavailable.

The PMS shifter seems to be the most often favoured solution but the rattle would drive me nuts (road car) and it's spendy for a car I doubt I'll have long (If I were spending £300 there are other places I'd rather put it too)

Has anyone had any luck with any of the rebuild kits on ebay?

Is the gearstick, ball and housing still available from renault?

Has anyone tried this sort of thing? Replaces the bearing but the stick geo may be way off. Ebay

Cheers

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
There was a thread with some brass brushes on here to replace the plastic one. They made a decent difference on mine but it’s still sloppy.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the usual play in the gearstick in my clio and I'd like to address it but not sure how best to and most threads are from a while back.

I had a BMS Shifter on my track car in the past but these (along with megane scenic housings) seem to have dried up

Yanoo's stiff shift seems to have been about the perfect answer but I understand he's sadly no longer with us and these are unavailable.

The PMS shifter seems to be the most often favoured solution but the rattle would drive me nuts (road car) and it's spendy for a car I doubt I'll have long (If I were spending £300 there are other places I'd rather put it too)

Has anyone had any luck with any of the rebuild kits on ebay?

Is the gearstick, ball and housing still available from renault?

Has anyone tried this sort of thing? Replaces the bearing but the stick geo may be way off. Ebay

Cheers
Guide on Youtube for deadening pretty much all of the PMS rattle. Essentially involves wrapping the whole thing in lead flashing but seems to work :ROFLMAO:
I've got a BMS shifter which I think is absolutely mega, but i've read here before that the PMS is a cut above.

One thing that definitely does sharpen up the gear-change is a solid lower-engine mount btw.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Buy the cheap rebuild kits off ebay for the megane shifter. Between the two top hats that go around the ball, put an o-ring in there.

This stiffens them up.

@Louis this sort of thing? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166240315870

s-l1600.jpg

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
The OEM gearbox nylon bush is currently on back order with Renault now and has been for a while. Seems like aftermarket is the only way to go with that but can’t recommend one unfortunately.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hijack this a bit, but I've got brass bushes and a new one of these 7700872205 with a new circlip and there's very little slop in the gear lever.
I do have an annoying rattle from the shifter that I've not been able to find though. How easy is it to rebuild that ball bit (the rebuild kits linked above) and are there any guides anywhere on how to do it? I feel like that's the most likely candidate for my rattle based on where it's coming from.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
The little folding cylindrical thing that goes on the end of the selector on the underside of the box? If so I've already replaced that
That’s a start then! One less thing that you know is brand new and in good order!