ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 gears?

182 Inferno
Hello!

I think the 182 could do with a 6th gear, don't you?

I was just thinking if it was feasible to put maybe a 306rallye gear box, or whatever, into the 182?

Im not planning on doing it, it just keeps popping into my mind and I'd like to know if it can be done and if its actually worth it?

Listerine & Poledo
Anything can fit, if someone was prepared to spend an exhorbitant amount of time on it, remember, the engine is, pretty much, the same as the 6-speed equipped 197s and 200s.
But, in a quick answer. No, it's not worth it.
182's will do 40mpg on a run all day, and the ratios are stacked well enough to not have you lugging a long gear in 2nd or 3rd when you want to get a move on, overtaking a lorry or whatever.

Anything can fit, if someone was prepared to spend an exhorbitant amount of time on it, remember, the engine is, pretty much, the same as the 6-speed equipped 197s and 200s.
But, in a quick answer. No, it's not worth it.
182's will do 40mpg on a run all day, and the ratios are stacked well enough to not have you lugging a long gear in 2nd or 3rd when you want to get a move on, overtaking a lorry or whatever.
Yeh the 197 engine is about the same as the 172 one, if your basing it has 4 cylinders and spark plugs. They're completely different.

Track 172 Cup
Doesn't one of the VAG boxes fit? some of the turbo lads run them i've seen it mentioned in some build's not sure the cost but i find 5th OK on my cup when driving to track days on the motorway, I do sometimes go for 6th but only because all my other cars have 6 lol

Listerine & Poledo
Yeh the 197 engine is about the same as the 172 one, if your basing it has 4 cylinders and spark plugs. They're completely different.
Really?
I honestly thought the block was pretty much the same, meaning that, other than ECU changes, it could almost be a drop-in replacement for a 172 block?

Yes yes, cams, inlets etc. But the actual meat and bones of the thing, that's still the same 2.0l block that's kicked around forever, isn't it?

As what bozo said, the physical moving parts are of the same dimensions (crank throw/big/little ends etc) but everything else is different. Block has the water pump driven off the timing belt for a start, ports are different, etc etc. but you can drop the internals into a 172 engine

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
isn't the 6th the same as a 5th on a 1*2 so whats the point anyway?

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd love to see how a 306 box on a Clio would be.

The ratios in my Rallye really are perfect. That said, it'd be way more than i'd want to spend in doing it.

The ratios in my Rallye really are perfect.

I disagree with you. 1st and 2nd are too long.

The Xsara VTS gearbox (5 speed, but same engine) is much nicer when mated together IMO. I've that in my 205 GTi6 and it's better than my Rallye.

Personal opinion obviously. Just when I drove a Xsara VTS, that and the 2.4 turn 'quick rack' made me appreciate the difference.

Yet my 197 6 speed is fine and works well. I LOL when I drive the 197 and get back in to the 306 with the bowl of porridge gearstick - and that's with uprated rods. The throw is laughable in comparison.

330i. E30 Touring.
I disagree with you. 1st and 2nd are too long.

The Xsara VTS gearbox (5 speed, but same engine) is much nicer when mated together IMO. I've that in my 205 GTi6 and it's better than my Rallye.

Personal opinion obviously. Just when I drove a Xsara VTS, that and the 2.4 turn 'quick rack' made me appreciate the difference.

Yet my 197 6 speed is fine and works well. I LOL when I drive the 197 and get back in to the 306 with the bowl of porridge gearstick - and that's with uprated rods. The throw is laughable in comparison.

1st and second are long, yes, but the majority of my fun driving is from 40-90 odd, where 2nd, 3rd and 4th are mainly in play, and the difference between the gears being so small makes it great to keep it on the boil.

Yeah, i have to say, the steering lock is bloody terrible and it feels like a million turns to get there. Appreciate the 'box is massive so going to be compromised.

Never driven a 197, but i love the Rallye 'box.

Like you say, personal preference.

182 Inferno
I'd love to see how a 306 box on a Clio would be.

The ratios in my Rallye really are perfect. That said, it'd be way more than i'd want to spend in doing it.

Yeah, nothing I plan to do like, I just often go for 6th gear, would be good for motorway crusing and the likes..
Its good to know what it would entail though!

1st and second are long, yes, but the majority of my fun driving is from 40-90 odd, where 2nd, 3rd and 4th are mainly in play, and the difference between the gears being so small makes it great to keep it on the boil.

Yeah, i have to say, the steering lock is bloody terrible and it feels like a million turns to get there. Appreciate the 'box is massive so going to be compromised.

Never driven a 197, but i love the Rallye 'box.

Like you say, personal preference.

Aye, the turning circle in those are an absolute pisser. Hilarious though, gives more points to my 182 over my boyfriends rallye!