ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 speed gearbox????

PH2 172
Everytime im on the motorway or in 5th gear always seems like i need a 6th gear can you get a 6 speed box to go into a clio if so how and where.

ValverInBits
I don't know if the new ratio 197 gearbox would fit, but you'd be hard pushed to find one anyway.
What you probably want is a Ph1 172 gearbox. They are a bit longer, the car will do 120mph in 4th.
Can be had quite cheap, will make your car feel less revvy and perhaps feel a bit slower point to point on the B road bash, but will lengthen out your 5th.

clio 200 F4Rt
Yozzasport used to say they could do a 6 speed conversion. seem to remember they were asking around 3.5k tho.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
would the 197 box fit then?

Anything will fit if you have a big enough hammer, or a big enough cheque book.

If you are asking whether its a practicable conversion, the answer is most definitely not. First of all it won't bolt up to the block you have. And secondly its too long.

would the 197 box fit then?

Anything will fit if you have a big enough hammer, or a big enough cheque book.

If you are asking whether its a practicable conversion, the answer is most definitely not. First of all it won't bolt up to the block you have. And secondly its too long.

correct, the bottom end although similar internally has totally different bolt spacing, but yeah, could be done... I guess the obvious solution would be to just use the whole engine and sell the existing one.

ITB'd MK1
would still need fairly major fabrication work to the front chassis leg even with use of the 197 lump and box, from quickly looking over it myself. Not impossible but pretty time consuming (costly) and the fab work would be critical to structural integrity. If you're going to mod the body and change the engine like that I think it's worth fitting the 225 lump rather than the 197

would still need fairly major fabrication work to the front chassis leg even with use of the 197 lump and box, from quickly looking over it myself. Not impossible but pretty time consuming (costly) and the fab work would be critical to structural integrity. If you're going to mod the body and change the engine like that I think it's worth fitting the 225 lump rather than the 197

we should try it on mine ;) lol

What you probably want is a Ph1 172 gearbox. They are a bit longer, the car will do 120mph in 4th.
Can be had quite cheap, will make your car feel less revvy and perhaps feel a bit slower point to point on the B road bash, but will lengthen out your 5th.
If you were feeling flush, I guess you could take your current box and swap the 5th gear cog for one from the above box, assuming it's only the individual ratios that are different and not the final drive thing.

2005 Nissan Navara
the gears are integral on the input shaft, so you cant mix and match so to speak.

the 197 'box, im right in thinking its the same as a megane 6 speed (PP7?)??

Imagine it will be...

They arent any longer than a JC5 suprisingly, I compared one side-by-side a month or so back.

the gears are integral on the input shaft, so you cant mix and match so to speak.

the 197 'box, im right in thinking its the same as a megane 6 speed (PP7?)??

Imagine it will be...

They arent any longer than a JC5 suprisingly, I compared one side-by-side a month or so back.

I'd even say the 6th gear on them is shorter than 5th on a 1*2... I remember 70mph seemed to be pretty high up the revs?

2005 Nissan Navara
a Sadev 6 speed is alot closer ratio, it will top out at about 120mph depending on the final drive.

Ive got a mk1 clio coming in for fitting of a 6spd from a Laguna, not for another 4 weeks, but I will post up on progress.

2005 Nissan Navara
from a dci...PP7 I think the code is.

I have no experience of them, so cant comment on durability...

Its Renault, nuff said!

I don't know if the new ratio 197 gearbox would fit, but you'd be hard pushed to find one anyway.

The Ph1 Gearboxes may be going cheap but may have double the miles on them compared to a 172/182 gearbox as its a few years older :(

And maybe a harder life, you can't really tell when buying a gearbox its a bit of a amble how long it'll last unless its a refurb.

With the Ph1 172 coming down in price into the price range of chavs a good few have probably been taken to every inch of there life :(

from a dci...PP7 I think the code is.

I have no experience of them, so cant comment on durability...

Its Renault, nuff said!

haha, fair point Craig, so the lads bought a couple of spares then? lol

There must be a box off another car that can be used with a bit of faffing? First person to find that solution will be quids in, I went through 5 gearboxes on the Willy in 4 years... oops

As for Ph1 172 boxes I think they are pretty good... for Renault. Mine's done 86k so far and led a hard life lol