ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

600mm, fun

I picked up a cheap (second-hand, of course) 2.0x Sigma Teleconverter recently for my Sigma 120-300. I had heard it reduced quality a bit but figured it was worth a try.

Was pretty cool, it has to be said. I've never shot with anything like that focal length before and it was amazing just how long 600mm really is. It did throw up a few issues though, it was only 15c outside yet I still had masses of heat haze in the shots, which really shot the sharpness to pieces for many pics. I wasn't expecting that, so I will be interested to see how that works out during the summer, if we get one. It also extended my lens by another 3 or 4 inches, so it's now ridiculously long and pretty hard to handle hand-held.

A few samples, you can quite clearly see the heat haze 'wobble' on parts of the car that would otherwise be sharp in the bigger versions (such as the subject car in the first pic). Otherwise they look reasonably acceptable to me, any thoughts?

550mm @ 1/800, f8. Static shot.
538563399_hyswy-L.jpg

Bigger Version

600mm @ 1/250, f14. Panning shot.
538427872_E7Syx-L.jpg

Bigger Version

600mm @ 1/320, f18. Panning shot.
538412168_CEADu-L.jpg

Bigger Version

A keeper, imo. Considering I was using it for the first time, in 20mph wind, and shooting handheld all day, there is clearly room for improvement. The panning shot is clearly the sharpest imo, so I think a reduction in shutter speeds will bring the best out of it. But it's a start anyhow. Now, what else can I try shooting with 600mm?

Mental 172 Cup
i can see what you mean on the first pic! 2nd and 3rd are awesome!!

going to have to invest in one of these :)

how much should you expect to pay for the teleconverter?

Depends really. Nikon ones are about £250 new. I got my Sigma one for £75. I've owned both the Nikon and Sigma ones and to be honest there isn't much in it.

Depends on the lens you are using it with though, for a 2.0x TC you need a constant aperture f2.8 lens for it to work properly, as that takes it up to f5.6 and 99.9% of cameras won't autofocus if the maximum aperture is 'worse' than f5.6.

Depends really. Nikon ones are about £250 new. I got my Sigma one for £75. I've owned both the Nikon and Sigma ones and to be honest there isn't much in it.

Depends on the lens you are using it with though, for a 2.0x TC you need a constant aperture f2.8 lens for it to work properly, as that takes it up to f5.6 and 99.9% of cameras won't autofocus if the maximum aperture is 'worse' than f5.6.

Where did you get it from Harry? Mind you, the D40 and Sigma 55-200 would probably throw a fit with one and say no lens attached or something.

Where did you get it from Harry? Mind you, the D40 and Sigma 55-200 would probably throw a fit with one and say no lens attached or something.

Just in the classifieds on Talk Photography. Is the 55-200 a f4-5.6 lens? If so it won't work, iirc (it might manually, I'm not sure)

Yeah it is. I'm too poor to afford fast lenses. Only reason I still have the D40 is because I can't afford an upgrade.

I sold my 172 Cup to buy photography equipment (and towards a house deposit), where's your dedication?! ;) £1k Hyundai ownership ftw, my lens is worth waaaay more than my car!

1.2 Dynamique billabong
ooohhh that looks good, tbh i was struggling at silverstone with my Canon 70-200 F4 L series and x1.4 convertor as it really wasnt long enough to get any close up pics of cars entering 'club straight', like the style of your last shot.

i was lucky and managed to pic up my Kenko convertor which is ment to be just as good as the canon one for £28 lol :)

Oil Burner
These are some pretty impressive results Chris, I really need to get a 1.4tc soon, maybe even find someone with a canon one to try lol (cant believe i forgot you were a nikon user!)

You going to Oulton in a few weeks?

These are some pretty impressive results Chris, I really need to get a 1.4tc soon, maybe even find someone with a canon one to try lol (cant believe i forgot you were a nikon user!)

You going to Oulton in a few weeks?

Hehe, that was pretty amusing. TCs are good but imo the shorter you shoot, the more creative you are. Saying that, I imagine for your line of work it would probably guarantee a few more shots if you had an extra few mm to work with.

Oulton would be a 400 mile round trip for me, so that would easily be a £100 / 16hr day out, no chance!

Combe, Thruxton, Silverstone and occasionally Brands is as far as I'm willing to travel, I may try Mallory and Pembrey one day though.

These are really good Chris. Shooting at that sort of focal length and those shutter speeds your technique has to be spot on.....as of course yours is!

Ah right, that's what I'm usually known as in real life (I use it on Flickr), just shortened from my surname (Harrison)