ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

60mm Springs with standard shocks?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hey peeps,

Quick question. Im looking at getting my 1.2 16v Clio lowered very soon. Im on a tighter budget so I only really want to get springs as I can't afford shocks. Ive seen this online (Link below) and its says 40mm/60mm but I can use with standard shocks. Now Im aware that im safe to go 40mm on standards but is 60mm a good idea? What are the pros and cons of 40mm and 60mm lowering?

40/60mm Springs
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca9b42938

40mm Springs
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apex-Lowering...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4a9ac47887

Thanks, please reply :)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
60mm on standard springs is a VERY harsh ride, take it from me iv done it and its not very nice lol also standard shocks probably wont last very long on 60mm spring, mine are fine for now lol

145db Euro'd clio
60mm is fine. my shocks have held up for over a year when people told me they'd be shot in a matter of days and my car has done 18k with them on. I have had a rear spring pop out though also this was a freak accident as i hit a massive pothole and was going too fast and it just sprung out. tie clips are usually used and work perfectly. personally.....go 60mm

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Ok, thanks guys. Also I tend to carry people in my car alot, like mate from clubs etc, any problems when it comes to things like that? Im just worried im gunna f**k my shocks if I go 60mm.

I was in the same situation but I went for 40 in the end, cos I didnt wanna buy new shocks and seemed more sensible I guess.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Ok, thanks guys. Also I tend to carry people in my car alot, like mate from clubs etc, any problems when it comes to things like that? Im just worried im gunna f**k my shocks if I go 60mm.

i get alot of rubbing on the rear with a car full, with 16" 172 wheels, but mines a ph1 so might be different

My ph2 1.2 had 172 wheels and 60mm springs on standard shocks and never rubbed even with a car full. The shocks also never gave up even after 10K+ of 60mm springs being used with them.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
well my Clio's on 15" hmmm, I don't know. Im feeling 40mm, but so long as it looks lower.

Black Clio GT
anything lower than 40mm get new uprated shorter shocks.
argubly you should get them with -40mm but if money is a bit tight then the -40mm will at least give your standard dampers a chance for a few thousand miles, most manufacturers will sell you the matching shocks as a kit.

Navara, MGTF,307,KA
i had 40mm - now got 60mm much prefer it!! sits perfect, ride isnt to bad! and my schocks are still in one peice :) id go 60mm but thats just me

BMW E92/Audi S3
Ride is terrible on shocks. I did it on my old Dynamique.
I could of had brain damage from it.
I'd recommend shocks unless you can bare the disasterous ride. My shocks were due after about 4 months of changing the springs.
Looked ok though.
3357807590_ac0ab8a103.jpg

Clio Dci
I have a set of Eibach Sportlines (as above) for sale. Never been out of the box, bought about a month ago then decided to get coilovers so never even got chance to fit them. They will fit 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, and 1.5 Dci. If your intrested?

Last edited:
  172, BMW 120 Msport.
I had 60mm spax springs on my 2003 expression, on 17s too back in the day, standard shocks lasted the year i had it anyway.

FF 182 Sport
MI'M also doing the same anyone with pics of a 1.2 on 35/40mm springs? Also are the jamex 35mm any good- think 60mm may be a bridge too far!!! Done it all before and it's just not nice.... Anyone reccomend some 35 or 40mm springs?

FF 182 Sport
Hey peeps,

Quick question. Im looking at getting my 1.2 16v Clio lowered very soon. Im on a tighter budget so I only really want to get springs as I can't afford shocks. Ive seen this online (Link below) and its says 40mm/60mm but I can use with standard shocks. Now Im aware that im safe to go 40mm on standards but is 60mm a good idea? What are the pros and cons of 40mm and 60mm lowering?

40/60mm Springs
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca9b42938

40mm Springs
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apex-Lowering...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4a9ac47887

Thanks, please reply :)

Just realised your 40mm spring kit is for a mk 1 all mk2 are 30/35mm be careful look for 98-05 not 90-98

Clio mk2 03
My clio mk2 is lowered on standard shocks and theres at rattling coming from them at speed any idea what this could be?

Attachments

• IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 229