ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

72 in 2nd!

Thats what my fiancee managed yesterday - picked me up from work and says "Tim, this car does 72 in 2nd......" Pretty impressive and thats without a raised rev limit or chip - just a grp N green element -getting the cup door badges today and gonna remove the clio badge and replace it with the "cup172" badge - just so everyone knows when they pull up behind...heheh

65 ish seem about right. Have you got tractor wheels on you cup ???

If the missus said that to me I would never let her drive it again !

Well it happened - just accept it mate! I cant see any reason to make something like that up - maybe u got a dud cup.....? Or maybe the grp N elemeent helps, defo does over 65 anyway, but Ill try later myself and see for myself, but I can confrim that the cup will do 145 (got pulled doing that speed, so if think thatsalso bollox, Ill give you the traffic branch officers name and number...................

Ill definitely agree with the top speed there as was doing 138 and it was still going, I just ran out of road! As for the 72, might be possible but have never really tested it? 65 it definitely does without hitting the limiter although I have had mine chipped. I might test this out later as well!

Well the RT does 45-50 in second. So its quite feasable, its got double the valves and 600cc more. Oh and double BHP.

Oh and if anyone I knew came back and said my car did anything like that in second they would be dead before they finished there sentance.

Paul

Still bollox... !! how can car mags like evo use test facilities like millbrook + mega expensive laser timing equipment & not get the car to go over its book speed... anyway speedos unless calibrated are 10-15% inaccurate over 80mph...

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Laner on 04 April 2003

One factor that seems to be over looked here!! a GIRL claimed this!!

it was probably 72 KM per hour!!!;)
Didnt know you could see a CUP speedo in the interior mirror?

S2000

Cupsize, do you have larger alloys on the car?

My brother crossed the 1/4 mile this weekend at over 100 at was actually trapped at 94.something, so......

P.S. I take it you have been banned then?

lol

It does sound strange, that would mean the gears are very long which theyre not really, or 2nd and 3rd are very, very close which theyre not either. I think its a bit evil to say "b****cks!" lets just say shes wrongly informed :).

I thought that max speed in gears were determined by the rev limit and the gearing, not how many bhp or airfilter the car has! If a car is geared to do 65mph at 6500rpm, more bhp will just mean it gets to 65mph quicker rather than a higher speed in the same gear. To go quicker in gear the rev limiter would have to be set higher or the gearing taller or both.

Sorry, but unless Im blind - it does infact do just over 70 - so that my friends is the end - we drive the car so it doesnt really matter if everyone elses dont do 70 - ours does, sorry if that offends anyones overinflated ego........dont pass judgement on someone elses times/speeds/info unless you can prove them wrong....it also does 43 in 1st - so there ya go again.............

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 04 April 2003

Sorry, but unless Im blind - it does infact do just over 70 - so that my friends is the end - we drive the car so it doesnt really matter if everyone elses dont do 70 - ours does, sorry if that offends anyones overinflated ego........dont pass judgement on someone elses times/speeds/info unless you can prove them wrong....it also does 43 in 1st - so there ya go again.............
Why dont you prove it then? But I know you wont ... sniff sniff whats that smell?

PS - sangys cup has 172BHP at the wheels, a hell of alot more than a 172...............hmm, Neil maybe youre just not driving your cup the way it should be. (ps - u dont have to change up at the wee greeny light thing BTW) ......if your top speed is only 63.8/65, I d consider bringing it back with the words - "this is sh*t........" Oh well, theres always a few duds come of the production line!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 04 April 2003

Thats what my fiancee managed yesterday - picked me up from work and says "Tim, this car does 72 in 2nd......" Pretty impressive and thats without a raised rev limit or chip - just a grp N green element -getting the cup door badges today and gonna remove the clio badge and replace it with the "cup172" badge - just so everyone knows when they pull up behind...heheh
No wonder some folks engines dont sound too good!

172 Cup

Faulty speedo?!?

Even if I had 500bhp it would still top out at the same speed in 2nd gear.

ahhh dear - listen to everyone getting their hackles up again..........poor babys..........pop down to boots for a few pacifiers - especially the blue and red ones! Its great not having to go above 2nd on the motorway to reach the legal speed limit! A few seems so sure that MY car doesnt do just over 70 in second - sorry again but it does, so theres absolutley no point in wasting time saying it does - get a life and stop dising every other post on the forum - Ill take a snap tonmight with the digital camera, well actually Ill get Joanne to sit on my lap and snap it when i say "NOW..." - then Ill expect a few apologies from teady , Neil and a few others.......;) have a nice weekend.....im of home

lol yeah handbags flying all over

So is any one going to volunteer to go out in their Cup and sit in the red zone in second? Cmon its a nice day!

-Rob

Im actually going to try it on my way home. so if anyone sees a blown up clio near Oxford please give me a lift home! Never pushed it to the limit after having my chip fitted so no idea whats going to happen...