ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

75w90 Gearbox oil in JC5-130

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Yep have used it in my kangoo for a while without too much hassle. Still you can pick up the proper elf oil for the same price on ebay.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah just looked and the f*****s have bumped the price up on that oil by about £20! Would rather use Elf or Millers as I can trust them not to stink and be black after 3 months

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I have also used dextron II in my Extra van with success, its on jb3 but not a million miles away from jc5. After blowing up a load of gearboxes was recommended it by a drag racer apparantly a lot of the honda lads use it.

Shifts were a lot better over 7k rpm when hot and no more damaged syncro’s. Probably not recommended for lots of miles though lol however held together at 235hp/220ft lbs a lot longer than when running 75/90.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Is that the ATF stuff?

My dCi is a JR5 so it doesn't give a s**t what it has as long as its wet lmao. I'll go for some 75w90 Fully syn and see how it goes, I've got a spare box that's gonna be rebuilt anyway as I know JC5 are made from chocolate and monkey piss

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Don’t put atf in the box. It’ll f**king ruin it. GL4 oil is what you need and I recommend redline mtl or redline mt90 for the jc5’s as it protects them from near enough the biggest bell end drivers. Almost anyway.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I wouldnt put atf in a road car however i ran it for at least 5 years in a jb3 no issues and that was with 235hp/220ft/lb and many trackdays. One of my friends ran a jc5 with a quaife lsd fitted - 336hp and that was tracked regular without issue on dextron II. Maybe mechanical sympathy on both accounts.

I also recall a gt turbo running a gripper in a jc5 130 - 400+hp drag car running atf. Snapped both shafts on launch at Santa pod and gearbox still stayed in one piece, no idea how it survived so well to this day.