ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

8v vs 16v?

None
8v's usually have bitter mid range torque and 16v's usually have a better top range torque and better top end

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
from the 1.2 end of the spectrum - the 16v 1.2 picks up the 8v and does a fart on it. way faster from my experiences

Shed.
In the 1.2 scheme of things.

8V - Power throughout the rev range but seems to lose it towards the top end, a steady amount of power all the way through. Noisy engine and s**t fuel economy. Slow as s**t.

16V - Lower power at low end however a steady increase of power all the way towards the top end, also produces more pwoer than the 8V because of this. Quieter, and better on fuel when driven normally. Slow as s**t but not quite as slow.

ValverInBits
16v means better flow into the chamber. But then you get more inefficiencies in the engine as you have 2 cams and 16 valve springs to contend with. If you have ever tried turning cams in a head it farking hard work.

iirc the differences between the two are made less when you introduce BOOST into the equation ;)

Mini Cooper S sport
My Ka was a 1.3 8v. It was dogshit in every way possible and so painfully slow, driving was actually a hideous experience.

8v blows.

Shed.
My Ka was a 1.3 8v. It was dogs**t in every way possible and so painfully slow, driving was actually a hideous experience.

8v blows.

Girlfriend has a ford ka, the throttlebody is massive, probably about the same size as the one forma 172 if not bigger. ! Noisy and the fuel pump drives me nuts.

Slow is not the word. O insist on driving eveyrwhere.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
My Ka was a 1.3 8v. It was dogs**t in every way possible and so painfully slow, driving was actually a hideous experience.

8v blows.

Girlfriend has a ford ka, the throttlebody is massive, probably about the same size as the one forma 172 if not bigger. ! Noisy and the fuel pump drives me nuts.

Slow is not the word. O insist on driving eveyrwhere.

It's not a fair test if we're talking about the Endura-E engined older Ka's, because they have a 59bhp absolute heap of s**t of an engine, it has pushrods ffs! Although, I know some pushrod engines are cool, R5 Turbo for example is rods iirc, but the Ka's old engine is NOT one of them... The newer Duratec engine is a bit better, but still s**t. The Sport Ka engine was 8v too iirc? 90bhp 1.6? That was s**t too heh.

Fcukin hell I hate Ka's :)

Scirocco GT 210
The Sport Ka engine was 8v too iirc? 90bhp 1.6? That was s**t too heh.

Fcukin hell I hate Ka's :)

Yeah, 1.6 8v with 94bhp. Awful. My gf's sister has one, great little car if I'm being honest but the engine ruins everything. Crap power, crap mpg (25mpg average) and tax will be £260 next March. :eek: Excellent mid range torque though.

Then again Ford's 1.6 16v engine (as in the current fiesta ZS) only has 99bhp. lol!

Pull your finger out Ford. :nono:

C

Clio1.6Rxe

i was more thinkin about the difference between my 1.6 8v and a 1.6 16v...

320d
well there is 20bhp difference for a start mate. 1.4 16v would outshine the 1.6 8v in most ways tbh. I personally don't see advantages to 8v except they are cheaper to produce hence why they are in the lower spec models.

16v FTW.

Although there where plenty of good 8v cars but most of them where running boost i.e. punto gt, renault 5 etc

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hmm was wondering about this myself. Was really disappointed when I went to change the air filter and found I needed the 8v one, not the 16v; but to be honest my car doesn't feel particularly slow and it certainly pulls quite well.

Although in all fairness the only other cars that I have driven are:

'98 1.25 16v Ford Fiesta,
'04 1.6 16v Ford Focus,
'07 1.25 16v Ford Fiesta,
'06(?) 2.0 16v Mazda 6 TS2,

I'd say the Fiestas are too slow to compare, however the Focus was probably sharper off the line than my Clio and Mazda in a league of its own. It's a while since we had the Focus, though. In terms of Clios though I can't imagine it being too different to be honest.

For example, the two Fiestas. Both are same size engines, but with all the extra weight on the '07 plate it is so much more sluggish than the old version. It's all subtle differences imo.

ValverInBits
'98 1.25 16v Ford Fiesta,
'04 1.6 16v Ford Focus,
'07 1.25 16v Ford Fiesta,
'06(?) 2.0 16v Mazda 6 TS2,

Now THAT is a farking SLOW car. I had to drive my mums for ages. I nearly died i got so bored of the peice of sh1t. My 1.3 turbodiesel company van is faster.

as for the 1.6 8v vs the 1.4 16v
The 1.4 is a better engine, it's got a little more power and uses less fuel. 16v is an important engine feature to have if you want power from a NA engine. It becomes less important when you down suck, you get blown ;)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Now THAT is a farking SLOW car. I had to drive my mums for ages. I nearly died i got so bored of the peice of sh1t. My 1.3 turbodiesel company van is faster.

Lol, well it has been a while and I never really pushed it, so can't really comment, but I'm not a fan of Fords anyway; my Clio is so much more fun.

Just something I read elsewhere. They were saying that because 8v engines are more common, they're more available / cheaper to replace and an average family car mechanic would have more experience in repairing them.

FF RB 182
Just something I read elsewhere. They were saying that because 8v engines are more common, they're more available / cheaper to replace and an average family car mechanic would have more experience in repairing them.

You read some random s**t then. If a mechanic can't work on a 16V car, they shouldn't be a mechanic!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Im a mechanic and it i would be fine to work on both if i couldnt i would shoot myself lol

FF RB 182
Prices depend on the car anyway. Bits for a 4cyl 16V clio would be less than say a 4cyl 8V BMW.

k. What about reliability? Will a 16v last as long as an 8v on average? With twice as many valves, isn't there inheritantly more to go wrong?!

FF RB 182
k. What about reliability? Will a 16v last as long as an 8v on average? With twice as many valves, isn't there inheritantly more to go wrong?!

Again, depends on the car. A 16V engine shouldn't be less reliable than an 8V just because it has more valve train components.

So there are absolutely no short or long term (>100,000 mile) financial or performance disadvantages to buying a mk1 16v 1.8 compared to the same in 8v?

Last edited:

Ian

Focus TDCi

Any car well maintained should be fine. If something goes wrong, I expect it's more to do with bad luck than poor design. There are thousands of Clios on the roads and in general the most that people have to deal with is a faulty bonnet catch. (mk2)

If you get an utter dog of a car like mine however, you will end up paying a lot of money to get it back up to standard, but I should have known better when I looked at it.

If you're thinking about getting one just make sure it has full service history and drives well. You'll be able to get a feel just from looking at it/the owner most of the time. From your post above it looks like you're after a mk1.. obviously with age comes more problems, but the same generally applies.

Might as well get the 16v then. Insurance is the same, price is the same, and has the brilliant bonnet vent! Anyone selling one in A+ condition and in Williams blue?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Might as well get the 16v then. Insurance is the same, price is the same, and has the brilliant bonnet vent! Anyone selling one in A+ condition and in Williams blue?

You'll be lucky, rare to find a decent valver these days. Best bet is probably Pistonheads or possibly eBay/Autotrader.

I've loved my Clio mk1 1.2 for 3 years, but the cambelt snapped on Sunday morning. With 3 years NCB I can afford to upgrade now. Hope I can find an equally reliable example. Tried Pistonheads and eBay - just a few to choose from - thought I found the perfect, but was sold 3 days before... : )

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lies.
You can get decent ones. Take a look on clio16valver and look for ones that have been loved.

Okk maybe not the whole truth, but for joe public they aren't so easy to come by! You know more than me though. :)