ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

98 ron versus 95 ron!!??

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
Re: 98 octane petrol!!!

Super unleaded will make a huge difference to mpg.
Yep ... and furthermore there's a noticeable difference between the supers too.

The Vee is absolutely designed to run on 98 RON - anything less and the ECU has to mess with the timing. However, not all supers were born equal.

My preference has always been to run on V-Power (and Opti) before it. For a while I swapped to Tesco, but I get consistently 0.5MPG less with that. Reckon it's down the the much higher proportion of bio-ethanol in the Tesco fuel!

GT86, 335, Westfield

Yep ... and furthermore there's a noticeable difference between the supers too.

The Vee is absolutely designed to run on 98 RON - anything less and the ECU has to mess with the timing. However, not all supers were born equal. quote]

Good point. High octabe fuels reduce detonation of the fuel too.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Lol at the amount of these threads.

Do the same motorway journey day in day out back to back, trying different fuels every week and tell me theres no difference.

Theres no difference.:rasp:

There is!

My drive when I used to commute in my Cup was regular and consistent.

Any time I switched to anything else I saw a drop from 37+ to less than 35.

Tesco 99? Don't even go there. Once and once only have I had to end a trackday early through running out of fuel, and that was running a brimmed tank of Tesco 99 slop.

Black 172ff
I have spoken to a couple of people with clio sports and they claim they fill up with super unleaded. I fill up with unleaded. What is the difference and what would you guys say.

Re: Super Unleaded or Unleaded

Super Unleaded is 'cleaner' fuel iirc more healthy for the engine afaik

I use Esso premium 97 unleaded most of the time. I use Vpower if I'm near a shell garage and I need fuel.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

Big can of worms. People will never agree if super fuels are of any benefit.

BMW M135i

It says 98ron recommended on the fuel filler cap for a reason imo. And I can tell the difference between normal 95 and vpower (99), and tbh its not that more expensive tbh. Its probably only a couple of quid difference on a fillup so no big deal its the cost of a pint.

Lots of Alfas

I use radio contol car fuel in my williams

The nitro stuff? I bet that has interesting results if you did try. Its about 75%Methanol 15%Nitromethane 10%oil. They use similar stuff in dragsters!!

Renault recommend 98ron and say 95 can be used if 98 is not available. I cannot notice a difference, search on youtube there is a video where 5th gear i think it was found it can slighlty increase bhp in performance cars but make hardly no difference at all in smaller engines.

Clio 1.8 16v x2

Super Unleaded is 'cleaner' fuel iirc more healthy for the engine afaik

Not entirely true. Depends on the fuel and who makes it. Super just has higher Octane rating which means less DET in higher performance cars.