ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A bit of advice on what to do with my Clio 172

172 Flamer
My 2002 flame red Clio 172 is amazing. Only has 73K on the clock and drives like a dream. Has been super reliable with only a few small issue with the biggest being a leaking radiator which I had replaced. Condition inside is mint and still has the original Renaultsport mats, stereo, CD (CD part not working) and 6 disc changer and speakers. The outside condition is also pretty amazing. A couple of small parking dents but no cracked or chipped paint anywhere. The car is standard apart from a Ktec stealth exhaust.

Value wise I would say £1500 or maybe a little less.

However, it does need the following things done to it.

Cambelt and auxiliery belts - £500
Front Tyres x 2 - £150
CD Player - £30
TOTAL: £680

So I am already up to half the value of the car. Plus the wheels are pretty scruffy and really could do with a refurb or replacing. Either way, if I left them as they are and sold the car as it is, then realistically, I am looking at getting £1200 - £1400 minus the bits that need doing leaving me £520 - £720 profit.

Now, I need to buy a new sensible car for work and I was going to keep the Clio roadworthy and do some trackdays in it (used to do them in my Lotus), maybe 5 or 6 a year to start with so nothing sesious. However, I am beginning to wonder if it would be better to either put it up for sale as it is without the belts done and see what I get or trade it in against a new car and then perhaps buy a Clio 172 Cup at a much later date. The advantage of keeping the current Clio is I know its history and it drives briliantly but it does need money spending on it if I was to keep it and track it. Breaking is not an option as I don't have the time, space or resources.

What you think guys, flog/trade it in and buy a Cup at a later date or spend the money and keep it?

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
Leaky rad? Sounds like an S1 hey mate ;)

to be honest, id keep it mate. If it reliable, and you like it, then get the belts done, and look out for another set of wheels in better condition with part worn tyres, means you save a bit of money and keep a great car thats perfect for flinging around a track :)

Keep it mate.

As you said, you're gonna have £5-700 profit which I'm assuming is what you'll have to buy another car... You are only buying someone elses problems with a car at that price.

Bite the bullet, get the belts done, two tyres, leave the cd player (assuming the 6 disc changer still works) and get another set of good wheels and keep your current ones for track use.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Take the cd player out = less weight.

If your bothered about how much the cambelt costs vs the value of the car then don't bother getting it done.

2 remoulds and you're a winner.

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
Sort it put keep it and have fun with it!! Ul oonly miss it, and the chances are ul buy a dog of a 172cup and regret Selling a car you know won't let you down!

172 Flamer
Thanks for the replies guys. Just to add that if I did sell the Clio, the profit from it (£500 - £700) is not needed to go towards the new car. I would be looking at buying possibly a Megane 225 Cup out of redundency from my last job and my new job (If I get it) could see me visiting suppliers and so the reason for the new car. The option to trade the Clio in against the new car may save me some pennies by not needing to do the belts but as you have all pointed out, I could end up buying a dog of a Clio at a later date and wished I had kept my current one.

133/225/CLS AMG
If you're considering having another 172 in the future then you may as well keep this one and get the work done.

If you're thinking of another car then SORN this (provided you can keep it off the road) and buy the new car then service the Clio as and when you want to. If you've got a good 172 sitting there, no point selling it to replace it with a similar one in future. :)

Nissan 350Z
Better the devil you know.

I'd fix it.

In the past, I've got rid of cars because they needed jobs doing, and then ended up buying a POS and regretting it.

My new (to me) Phase 1 needs work, but I'll be keeping this one for a good while.

172 Flamer
Thanks again for the advice. The Clio is now booked in to have the Cambelt and Auxiliary belts done. So she looks to be a keeper for now :)

53 Clio's & counting
I think it helped that my wife who used to do the odd trackday in the Elise said out of the blue that she really fancied driving Brands again. That was a big green light for me :clap:

Ha lol love it when that happens!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Why remove the aircon? Get a hot day and you will regret it. I use mine all the time including on track. I've had mine three and a half years now and replace stuff as and when its needed.It's just broken a front spring this week so that's being replaced next week. The handbrake cable snapped a week and a half ago so thats just been done. As for the wheels just get them refinished when you have a bit of spare cash. Mine have been looking a bit scruffy for ages but eventually I'll get them done. Just enjoy driving the car and have some fun with it.

172 Flamer
Thanks Mark. Yep exactly how I plan on doing it. The aircon will be useful to have as like you say, I will miss it on a hot day and losing 11kg by removing it is not really going to make me any faster on track. I will keep the wheels as they are but if I get some spare cash then maybe I will replace them but at the moment the current ones are staying.