ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Friend.....

2008 VW Golf R32
A friend of mine who lives in madrid has the chance to get himself a second hand cooper S or a second hand 182 Cup. I have tried convincing him to get the 182 but personally i dont know much about both cars. Could any one tell me anything good about the 182 which i could tell him. I have told him the 172 is great fun and i have found the power and handling very reliable but im not sure my self about the 182. Thanks :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
You obviously know about 172's having one yourself . 182 is the same car basically with the exception of different wheels , twin exhaust etc ....

182 over the cooper for me anyway .

2008 VW Golf R32
Apart from the twin exhaust/wheels and suspension (not to sure about suspension) performance wise is there much of a difference between the 172 and the 182?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
No difference in performance . Same engine with a different exhaust manifold . I went from a 172 to a 182 , i find the cup suspension slightly better and the Michelins better than the contis , other than that . Fcuk all difference tbh .I'm not 100% sure but with it being a cup it " might " not have air con ???

2008 VW Golf R32
Good point about the air con, i think it will be needed around here as in Gibraltar and the Costa Del Sol it does get very hot in summers, thanks for pointing that out! Hes told me its a cup but the problem is he lives in Madrid as he is playing football there, i doubt he himself knows much difference between the cup/trophy and the normal 182 but il let him know about the air conditioning and leave it up to him i guess. Any one driven a normal Cooper S and got anything to say about it compared to the 182? ?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Good point about the air con, i think it will be needed around here as in Gibraltar and the Costa Del Sol it does get very hot in summers, thanks for pointing that out! Hes told me its a cup but the problem is he lives in Madrid as he is playing football there, i doubt he himself knows much difference between the cup/trophy and the normal 182 but il let him know about the air conditioning and leave it up to him i guess. Any one driven a normal Cooper S and got anything to say about it compared to the 182? ?

Your probably on the wrong forum lol if you want anybody to give you good feedback on the cooper . Some people seem to think the 172/182's are the be all and end all , lol , almost supercar bracket ;)

Imo they look good from the outside , not keen on the interior . Each to their tho' eh !

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i dont think anyone has a cooper s on here. im not to keen myself a pit overpriced imo. but they do hold the price better than renaults.

2008 VW Golf R32
I guess you have a point. the poor boys birthday is next week and hes doing a his drivers exam next monday (i think) Hes ordered a Golf GTI but has to wait three months for it so he wants a car to use from now till summer....footballers lives....:rolleyes:...anyways thanks Craig and MRBILLYUK for some fast feed back, appreciate it :approve:

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
no problem mate anytime. most of us are a friendly bunch anyway

2008 VW Golf R32
i dont think anyone has a cooper s on here. im not to keen myself a pit overpriced imo. but they do hold the price better than renaults.

I do aggree with you craig but i love it when you get these little boy racers that think your clio is a 1.2/1.4 and then when you step on it they stay abit shocked, makes me feel proud of my renault :approve:

2008 VW Golf R32
Northern....I want to go to the UK, we have a house in central london, Baker Street. I seriously need to get out of Gibraltar for a week or two but i am thinking on waiting for the French Car show and try and drive up to the UK. Will also get a chance to meet a few of you and see your clios!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The clio wins for me.My friend had a cooper s and it sounded like it was in reverse all the time with that bloody whining noise from the supercharger

ian

car? need a license 1st!
Yeah I'd go for the 182 as well.. I had a friend who had a Cooper S Works. The supercharger whines like a b**ch. Theres very little leg room, the seats aren't that comfortable.. The only good thing I can say about the mini is that it looks ok.

MINI JCW
I own both at the moment and would say, if performance is his main priority then get the 182 if not get the MINI because overall its a better car

2008 VW Golf R32
I own both at the moment and would say, if performance is his main priority then get the 182 if not get the MINI because overall its a better car

Thanx mate, i think hes ended up buying the mini but he hasnt told me anything :dead: