ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A messy afternoon - CV boot clip failure. And the clean-up afterwards...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, the offside-front CV boot has spat it's grease out again, as mentioned in the following thread....

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?583803-CV-boot-clip-failed....-again!

Today was aimed at not only fixing it, but also cleaning up the mess it created. :dapprove:

On initial inspection, this was the worst of the three clip failures I've had in the life of the 182. A proper caking this time - 3rd time unlucky, I guess!

Grease1.jpg

Grease2.jpg

Armed with the usual warm-water and Fairy liquid combo, these two little buggers made the job a whole lot easier. The bigger one being a mere £1 from Tesco...

Degreasertools.jpg

Immediately, the effects were noticable - even on the small bit I cleaned initially....

Grease3.jpg

....until the alloy was properly clean. Only took about 5 mins, but RIP to those brushes - they were fit for nothing afterwards!

Grease4.jpg

Getting the alloys off allowed me to touch-up some of the stone-chips with them as well. So I guess I killed two birds with one stone this afternoon. :cool:

Alloy1.jpg

D.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I know exactly how you feel as when i bought my 182 wheels a CV boot had burst and one was covered, Some Tar & Glue, a jet wash and it was as good as new in no time.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
I got rid of the hard plasticy renault CV boots after it happened to me and got the replacement stretchy rubber ones. The dont seem as prone to clips popping off them.

Clio MK 4
my cv boot used to split every 3/4 months. was a right pain! always the same one as well after it's been replaced

PB 172 phase 2
Must have replaced about 8 of these in the 3 years i had my 182..feel your pain mate!
Inner boot is touching the block, not enough to score it in motion but at at full temp it must harden or melt the rubber and eventually perishes the boot

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Inner boot is touching the block, not enough to score it in motion but at at full temp it must harden or melt the rubber and eventually perishes the boot

I wonder how many more he's replaced in the 5 years since he commented ;)