ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A reminder: Check behind your rear doorcards!

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
A user on pistonheads reminded me to check behind the doorcards when i was fitting some sound insulation.
I found this scabby mess on the driver's side. It's solid underneath, but i suspect it wouldn't stay that way for too many more years.
20220309_125849.jpg

I've wire brushed it, cleaned it and the first coat of Krust is on...

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've got some direct to rust paint to go over the top. Then I'll see what cavity wax anti rust stuff is good value.
This is the second Krust application. It's a bit messy as it's not the easiest area to paint.
The other side was completely fine.

20220309_155012.jpg

Last edited:

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting that the driver's side is that bad and passenger side is fine, passenger side usually gets more of a battering I'd have thought.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Yes, normally the passengers side is in the salt and mud. Not sure why this has happened. The drain is definitely clear...
20220309_131440.jpg

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’d say that’s got a hole in the inner sill.

I’d get that side skirt off, get it jacked up and have a good hard poke around with a screwdriver.
I definitely need to take the skirt off, just to see how deep that rust penetrated.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Well, i took the side skirt off, and there were a couple of bubbles.
20220320_134539.jpg

No problem, i thought. I'll take that back to bare metal, treat it and even painting it won't be that hard as no-one will see that area.
But as soon as i touched the paint with the sander it just crumbled.

20220320_140357.jpg

Time to cry.
Anyone know a good welder/bodyshop in Cambridge?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
I have 4 bubbles on the outside of my arch. Checked inside and its the same as yours 😩
20220318_111206.jpg