ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Ring Story

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The shopping trolley got some hard ringing action.

Quick breif of events before I go and wash it (don't want all the crap to dry in the sun and become 2x harder to remove tomorrow).

January 2007: Get bombarded with invites to the infamous German race track.

July 2nd 2007:
Decided to tag along.

July 4th 2007:
Arranged accomodation and a channel crossing.

July 5th 2007:
Bought new pads and discs
Got a few euros
Fuelled up.

July 6th 2007:
Packed my bags (forgetting most of my clothes)
Set off for Dover at 4.30 (from Brighton)
Decided at 5.15 that I wouldn't make it following a Saxo VTR.
Arrived in Dover, waiting in line 214 for the Calais crossing at 6.20.
Arrived in Calais and set off to meet everyone else at Dunkerque.
Soon realised my phone was barred from roaming.... I had to make Dunkerque before their ferry did.
Luckily I was waiting around for them, then we set off for the what should've been a 4 hour treck.
At about 5 we arrived alone at the Hotel, after losing a couple of others (whom I might point out were relying on our GPS to guide them... Oh well!!)
Went to the Ring at about 7.30, had a look round and bought a T-shirt.
At about 8.30 I rang edde to see whether he made it, he did.
He offered to help change my brakes that night, how could I refuse, so I went to meet him near the F1 circuit, eventually we found each other and went to the Nurburgring car park to do the work.
When he said help change, I didn't expect him to perform the circus act he did.
Changing brake discs can be tiresome enough, but edde did the lot in the dark. Refused the aid of headlights for vision, and the most I managed to do was get the wheels off before needing a torch.
Either way, they got sorted and were ready for bedding in the day after.

July 7th 2007:
Hit the Ring.

Edde rang me when I got to the first corner, told him I'd call him back. General Ring virgin lap really, 12:45 as timed from barrier to barrier by some mates.

Jumped in edde's dCi65 with semi slicks, which caused their own problems, and didn't seem to make the car any faster than with road tyres. He showed me the lines I should be taking, whilst also showing me that my car actually gets treated alright compared to his!!

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...30869783525296

This was a video of me following edde (he had a passenger and I didn't). The dCi 80 is clearly faster on the straights.

July 8th 2007:

Got to the circuit at about 1pm.
Lucky really as it had been closed for most of the morning.
Did a couple more laps which included this 10 minute lap - http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=8138671795121811453&hl=en-GB
Managed to get the DCI down to 29.6mpg (an all time low for that car)
That night I found an.... Interesting mountain bike road that lead to the Steilstrecke (corner before the Karussell) and made a few little insignias, including a scoreboard which I've already told edde has to be updated before any scores are counted.

July 9th 2007:

Most of the others set off at 7.30, the rest by 8.30.
I left at 10.30 and didn't hear from them all day.
Got an earlier ferry (4.55pm).
As I was hitting the M26 I got a call that the rest of the guys had just got back into UK phone service on the boat... 8 hour journey...... Ouch!

Back home now, but can't wait to go again.

Mazda MX5 1.8
i really should get off my arse and take a trip there!

been thinking about it for ages....... dunno whether i could trust my car not to break on me tho

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I recommend it to ANYONE who likes racing, be it street, track or even videogames.

I will probably go again before the end of September, edde is always game apparently, I'll publish dates and times if anyone wants to tag along nearer the time, probably just be a long weekend like this one for the reason that you only need 1 set of tyres and brakes unless you're crazy.

MarkCup, I've seen a few of your trackday videos, UK tracks are just safe training for the daddy that is the Ring. You'd love it.

Jumped in edde's dCi65 with semi slicks, which caused their own problems, and didn't seem to make the car any faster than with road tyres. He showed me the lines I should be taking, whilst also showing me that my car actually gets treated alright compared to his!!

Managed to get the DCI down to 29.6mpg (an all time low for that car)
That night I found an.... Interesting mountain bike road that lead to the Steilstrecke (corner before the Karussell) and made a few little insignias, including a scoreboard which I've already told edde has to be updated before any scores are counted.
Slicks were cathing on the rear arches seriously badly. Glad I checked first time I've been used on the back

Only need a light modification to my sconer and a 0 to your score then again not going all the way there just to put my pianting skills to the test others have seen my previous painting and well that whay I don't paint.

I know I would. I've seen the 'ring addiction of others...once it takes hold that's it, for life.

That's what I'm worried about LOL

Pah wimp. COme on get booked up I'm back end of uagust i think a duel header the ring for a weekend and the Abilville track day.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Nice:)

I'd *LOVE* to take the Vee to the ring :p

Dan

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not stay till Saturday then edde ??

I can't think of any reason not to go again this year btw, so I will probably be good to go Aug or early Sep, we'll see how the diary fairs.

How did you do in the end ??

I can't think of any reason not to go again this year btw, so I will probably be good to go Aug or early Sep, we'll see how the diary fairs.

Nar decided to come home.

Still got a few laps left on my ticket so will have to go back.

Will get some better tyres as well no more stupid conti 2's, conti 1 all the way.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Nar decided to come home.

Still got a few laps left on my ticket so will have to go back.

Will get some better tyres as well no more stupid conti 2's, conti 1 all the way.

I have one lap left one mine.... Good enough reason for me!!:clown: Michelins FTW

CB600FS
Let us know when your planning on going again I'd be well up for that, I've been a passenger in Edde's car aswell, DCI65s 'shouldn't' go broadside round roundabouts, but they do, oh yes.

Michelins FTW

Nar keeping with what i like going to have to try search out my belived conti 1's buy all the remaining stock in England I recon.

Let us know when your planning on going again I'd be well up for that, I've been a passenger in Edde's car aswell, DCI65s 'shouldn't' go broadside round roundabouts, but they do, oh yes.

Ha ha nothing wrong with sideways. Especialy if your just using it stop coilover owners there not that quick.

Its the bank holiday weekend I recon end of August will drop you a message when I've worked it out.

CB600FS

Ha ha nothing wrong with sideways. Especialy if your just using it stop coilover owners there not that quick.

Its the bank holiday weekend I recon end of August will drop you a message when I've worked it out.

Yeah mate definetely, I'd have to sort insurance & breakdown cover out aswell though.