ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A sign of worse to come?

Nissan 350z
Apologies if this is the wrong section, but it isnt really a fault (yet).

Ive noticed over the last couple of thousand miles my car (Ph1 1.4 SI) has developed a sort of metalic ticking sound when idling. Upon inspection this seems to come from within or under the engine? Its also not constant, sorta like:

*tick tick tick* .... 1 sec pause.... *tick tick tick*

I have tried recording it but unfortunately its too quiet compared to the rest of the engine noise to pick it up. But its noticeable from inside the car. The engine also appears to make a louder, constant version of this same noise when started up, which suddenly goes away after about 5 seconds.

The only thing ive been able to figure out is its almost like the engine is perhaps wobbling slightly and catching on something else? This is the only thing ive been able to guess at so far.

Sorry for the vague'ness, any suggestions of where to start would be appreciated because i havent a clue!

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Wow, could be any number of things.

Things I would check myself:

Check oil level and colour. When was it last changed?
Give the engine a rev, does the noise increase with revs or is it still constant?
Hold engine while someone revs, can you feel/stop the vibrations? if so look at engine mounts?
Check for any loose connections or wires fouling on metal

Failing all that, get someone expereineced to listen and see if its just noisey tappets.

Nissan 350z
- Oil. This is done electronically by the dash everytime the engine is started. Although yeah i see what you mean, this might not be that reliable lol.
- Revs. Havent tried this during the noise. Normally when it happens i just freeze thinking "oh s**t its doing it again" and wait for it to eventually pass!

Im going to try recording the louder noise at engine startup, that should be picked up on a recording hopefully.

Thanks for your time :)