ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A WD-40 question...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just thinking what would be the best product to use on my door locks, boot lock, etc?

Is good 'ol WD the best way to go, or would a thicker grease-based product be better instead?

Cheers,
D.

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
WD40 is really good stuff if it was a tenner a can i would still buy it.

On the boot/bonet i would put WD40 on first and then a little grease but i would only put WD 40 on the doors etc because grease gets everywhere (Jeans and then seats:mad: )

you want something thicker, duck/mech oil or something specific for locks. WD40 is really more of a water dispursant and wont lubricate.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
silacone spray....i think theres one called silko i used to buy. OR GT45 with PTFE, thats very good stuff indeed!!!

1998 BMW e46 323i
gt85 smells the best :D

Don't use it, or (w)ater (d)isplacement 40(th attempt) on greased areas, as the grease will be displaced too

Last edited:
  tiTTy & SV650
Scottoiler FS365 Corrosion Inhibitor spray :) water based & available from loads of motorcycle dealers.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
an example of how good GT85 with PTFE is, my bike chain used to keep on snapping, id put wd40/3in1 oil and 2 stroke oil and it still kept on snapping. As soon as i sprayed the GT85 on it, iv never had it snap again! its because it clean rust away, and the PTFE keeps things lub'ed up...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That GT85 sounds good. Is that the actual full name of the product? Can you get it from places like Halfords?

Rory - never heard of that one you suggested m8?!

Cheers,
D.

GT85 is the full name, red and black can and normally stocked in the cycle section of halfords but i wouldnt use it to grease things TBH.

Ford Puma
You can get specific lock degreaser to stop those annoying squeaks. Also make sure all door/hinge bolts are tight so they are not putting too much pressure on the joints.

tiTTy & SV650
Teflon is the best hard lubricant around, will not stick to anything in its raw powder form. Doing some experiments with it at the moment.

Scottoiler FS365 I mentioned earlier is a product we manufacture, its water based and comes in a trigger spray, as opposed to an aerosol. Its a corrosion inhibitor, and creates a barrier to corrosive salts. Its not a water penetrant like WD40 or GT85. It does free up sticky mechanisms though, as it leaves a film of lube on the parts.

Washes off easily with water alone, good on plastics, won't damage paint etc polishes up nicely too, leaving no sign of it being applied.

Motorcycle News (MCN) Product of the year 2003

http://www.scottoiler.com/mcn.asp

because it's water based the 1litre bottle is all usable, if you have wd40 or gt85 they are aerosols so contain mostly propellants to get them out of the can in the first place.

172 Cup
rory182 said:
because it's water based the 1litre bottle is all usable, if you have wd40 or gt85 they are aerosols so contain mostly propellants to get them out of the can in the first place.

pump.jpg

1ltr bottle ^^^