ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A White Lambo - sublime detailing

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Ne Plus Ultra \nee-plus-UL-truh; nay-\, noun:

1. The highest point, as of excellence or achievement; the acme; the pinnacle; the ultimate.

2. The most profound degree of a quality or condition.

---

This detail was done last summer, and the original write up posted by Clark on Detailing World has taken over 340,000 unique views since, making it quite possibly one of the most viewed details yet done anywhere in the world. At the time, the car was just six months old, and finished in Balloon White, in our opinion the nicest colour in the current Lamborghini catalogue...

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

This was a rather special detail too, as it was our first Ne Plus Ultra (TM) hyper-detail. This is a new service option we are offering to supercar owners throughout Scotland who want their vehicles to receive a detail that achieves as close to perfection as physically possible (without replacing any parts or adding paint) and leaves no surface untouched. No time limit is set for this service; it simply takes as long as it takes, over a minimum of 7 days (to allow enough time for multiple bespoke premium carnauba wax coats to fully cure). Here is Clark’s original report...

---

Wednesday was officially day 1 of the detail, us having collected it on Tuesday from the customers house (paying out for £150k of full road risks insurance cover has its benefits!).

The warmer weather has brought out all the flies and various bugs up here and this was evident on the front of the car:

C3.jpg

The car only had approximately 400 miles on the clock when we first viewed it back in the spring, but the owner has obviously been out enjoying it in the last few weeks as it was a bit grubbier than when we first saw it tucked away in the garage:

C4.jpg

The back end was covered in soot from the exhausts:

C5.jpg

C6.jpg

Wash stage:

First up was the pre-foam, using Meguiars Hyperwash @ 50 degrees:

C7.jpg

Followed by a thorough rinse at high pressure:

C8.jpg

C9.jpg

The wheels were next, using the followings bits and pieces:

C10.jpg

Menzerna 7.5 was sprayed onto the wheel face and inner rim and left for 30 seconds or so:

C11.jpg

This was then agitated with a Meguiars Slide Lock Brush (as good as anything else I've used):

C12.jpg

Our wheel back brush was used for the inner rim and caliper:

C13.jpg

The car was then rolled back a bit to ensure I'd cleaned the entire inner rim and caliper face before rinsing off:

C14.jpg

C15.jpg

A few tar spots remained though so we'll come back to these in a bit
icon_smile.gif

The arches and tyres were thoroughly cleaned with a brush and Meguiars Super Degreaser (4:1):

C17.jpg

I then moved round to the engine, which was showing a fair bit of grime already:

C18.jpg

C19.jpg

C20.jpg

Any exposed parts were covered up with foil (perfectly safe on modern engines with plastic plugs, etc, just don’t be daft and use it across battery terminals, etc!) and P21S Total Auto Wash was applied to the entire engine and bay:

C21.jpg

The worst bits were given a bit of agitation with the brush:

C22.jpg

C23.jpg

Then using the pressure washer on medium setting, I rinsed the engine off:

C24.jpg

C25.jpg

All bits of foil were then removed and I let the car sit and idle for 5 minutes to help the majority of the water dry off quicker.

The door shuts were attended to next, just showing a light covering of dust more than anything:

C26.jpg

P21S Total Auto Wash and the brush were used again to agitate the worst of the grime:

C27.jpg

C28.jpg

C29.jpg

C30.jpg

C31.jpg

A trick learned from my valeting days still comes in handy for this bit, using the pressure washer on medium setting I rinsed the shuts thoroughly without getting a drop of water in the car:

C32.jpg

The best way to do it is to start the lance away from the shuts and then aim it where you want it - this way you won’t get any splash back.

Now having done the smaller jobs - I washed the car with the usual 2 bucket method using Meguiars Shampoo Plus and one of the new wash mitts we'd been given to try out (very impressed too):

C33.jpg

After rinsing there were still some stubborn bug splatters on the front end so instead of trying to scrub them off with the mitt I got out a product I'm using more and more of now the warmer weather is here:

C34.jpg

This was sprayed on and left for a minute or two:

C35.jpg

A pic after rinsing off at high pressure - bugs all gone:

C36.jpg

P21S Total Auto Wash was used again to ensure all exterior trim was perfectly clean:

C37.jpg

C38.jpg

C39.jpg

A quick rinse followed.

The final job before claying was to tackle the tar spots clinging to the paint and wheels. As usual - Autosmart Tardis was used:

C41.jpg

(note the contaminants still stuck to the rear end from the exhaust even after washing).

I used a MF work towel to wipe away the tar after the Tardis has been left to do its thing for a minute:

Before:

C42.jpg

After:

C43.jpg

One final rinse followed to get rid of any Tarids still left on the paint:

C44.jpg

Total time so far: 5 hours

I then moved the car inside ready for claying but firstly removed the remaining sticky fixers from the bumpers with the heat gun:

C45.jpg

I went straight to Meguiars Aggressive Detailing Clay for this detail...

C46.jpg

...reason being that the car was covered in small metal filings:

C47.jpg

They were everywhere, even under the fuel cap:

C48.jpg

The clay did its job well though:

C49.jpg

It was a bit tedious at times but I slowly worked my way around the car - ensuring each panel was 100% clean:

C50.jpg

Including the shuts:

C51.jpg

The car was then moved back outside, foamed and rinsed one last time and then dried off with the leaf blower:

C52.jpg

I then drove the car back and forwards a few times to clean up the discs as I didn’t want them sticking while the car was sat in the unit for the next week and rusty discs also look crap for the final pictures.

Now parked up inside, I removed the front grills to gain better access to the lower parts of the front bumper when I got round to polishing them:

C53.jpg

The car was then taped up ready for polishing:

C54.jpg

It was now 5:30pm by this point so I stopped at there for day 1.

Total time so far was 8.5 hours which just goes to show that there is no real quick way of doing every little detail if you are to do them properly, admittedly the claying stage did take several hours.

Thursday - Day 2

Before paint readings were taken, I checked that the gauge was reading accurately, as you can see below, it was working perfectly:

C55.jpg

The Gallardo is hand painted (and also has white as the ground coat, followed by the clear coat with the pearl mixed in and then topped with another coat of clear) so I was expecting fairly high readings. The top panels such as the bonnet, roof and engine cover were in the 200+ territory:

C56.jpg

The lowest readings down the sides were in the 130's:

C57.jpg

The plastics were also showing healthy levels:

C58.jpg

The composite's gauge can sometimes struggle to identify individual layers on a lot of modern day paints as the majority of them are painted "wet on wet", but on the Gallardo I was getting very clear and precise readings nearly every time which would suggest that they are given time to cure in between coats.

Being the colour that it was (and also having only covered around 1k miles) it was always going to be difficult to capture the true extent of the defects present in the paintwork but here are some that I managed to get which give you an idea:

C59.jpg

C60.jpg

C61.jpg

C62.jpg

C63.jpg

C64.jpg

C65.jpg

C66.jpg

C67.jpg

Not overly bad, but not perfect - and perfect is what we are aiming for on this one.

After a quick bit of playing about with polish and pad combinations I started off with one of 3M's new polishing pads and Menzerna 3.02:

C71.jpg

Initial impressions of this pad are very good. It's very similar to the firmness and cut of a Meguiars Polishing Pad but has the added bonus of being a lot easier to centre first time!

This pad and polish combo removed between 1-2 microns.

I knew this as I had blatantly stolen an idea from a fellow pro-detailer, so all the credit for this little invention must go to Matt at Off Your Marks, cheers Matt!

C68.jpg

Simple yet effective - a laser pen taped to a camera tripod.

This enables you to accurately pin-point an area of paint you are polishing and providing you don’t move the tripod you will be able to get a very good indication of paint removal after polishing:

C70.jpg

I should add that the readings were taken after the panel was allowed to cool down as a warm panel could potentially give false readings.

I started polishing on the roof but after a couple of passes I soon realised that a couple of deeper scratches were remaining. The paint on the Gallardo was probably one of the hardest paints I’ve polished yet - a good bit harder than normal Audi Paint, however I wasn’t complaining as I prefer hard paint to soft paint.

An example of what was left after a couple of hits on the roof:

C72.jpg

Yes it was small but it was there so it had to come out!

So out with another new 3M Pad, this time one designed for compounding with Fast Cut Plus (hence the green):

C73.jpg

1800-2000rpm's were used for the majority of the correction work and this removed the few remaining defects perfectly, removing 2-3 microns at a time:

C74.jpg

Below is a pic of the roof after stopping polishing @ 2000rpm's - no refining at all after the FCP. Even under the Sun Gun there was no evidence of buffer trails at all so this was a good indication of how hard the paint was:

C75.jpg

I moved down to the bonnet next and again ended up switching to FCP after the 3.02 didn’t provide quite enough cut:

C76.jpg

Fortunately, the vast majority of the driver’s side was fully corrected using the slightly less aggressive combination of the polishing pad and 3.02:

C78.jpg

C79.jpg

C80.jpg

I could have gone at the entire car with FCP but I always try to remove all defects whilst removing as little paint as possible.

Round the other side was a bit different though. The rear 1/4 had picked up a couple of bad scratches at some point:

C81.jpg

After 1 hit of FCP (sorry about the blurry pic, the camera didn’t focus well on the white at times):

C82.jpg

Still there so another hit!

C83.jpg

All gone except for a deeper scratch which remained:

C84.jpg

This was too deep to polish out so I marked it with a piece of masking tape:

C85.jpg

I planned to go back and remove any more defects like this one by wet sanding later on so that was the reason for marking them on the paint as they were hard to see at certain angles (multiple customers "examining" the car thought I was mad to go further at a scratch that they could barely see but I knew it was there and the aim of this detail was ultimate perfection).

The rest of the near side corrected the same as the off side with the 3.02 and polishing pad:

C86.jpg

I stopped work at 7:30pm having corrected the majority of the larger areas.

Friday - Day 3

4" compounding pads were used throughout the detail for when I needed to get into the tighter areas:

C87.jpg

C88.jpg

C89.jpg

C90.jpg

Opening the doors allowed easier access to the lower sections and side skirts:

C91.jpg

C92.jpg

The fuel cap was in dire need of correcting:

C93.jpg

During polishing (note the extra masking tape to prevent the edge of the pad from coming in contact with paint I didn’t want it to touch!):

C94.jpg

After:

C95.jpg

Polishing of the front bumper - plastics were polished @1500rpm's:

C96.jpg

C97.jpg

The rear bumper had significant swirling that was robbing the paint of its true clarity:

C98.jpg

After FCP:

C99.jpg

Even after the thorough claying stage there was still some exhaust contamination being pulled off the paint by the polishing step, here's a poor attempt at a 50/50
icon_biggrin.gif
:

C100.jpg

Fully corrected:

C101.jpg

A bit of improvisation was needed to allow me to comfortably polish the engine cover
icon_smile.gif

C102.jpg

This was probably the worst area of the car in terms of RIDS so 2 or 3 hits per section with FCP was needed:

C103.jpg

This was the last area of the car to be corrected (except for those that I knew would be corrected with the finishing polish such as headlights/wing mirrors etc) so I called it a day at 6pm - late enough for a Friday night!

The car was still in for a few more days yet and I had initially decided to have the whole weekend off but I decided to go into work on the Sunday to do all the wet sanding. This would enable me to start the finishing polish stage first thing on Monday morning.

There were 4 or 5 smaller RIDS marked out on various places of the car and these were sanded out with 2000 and 4000 Mirka discs on a finger pad. I took pics but the majority of them were out of focus and to be honest we all know what a bit of sanding haze looks like now!

I got some good pics of the other piece of sanding I had to do though. There was a 4-5" scratch running in line with the spoiler (pic taken on Rich's camera as his is considerably better than mine!):

C104.jpg

Due to the size of the scratch I decided to sand this one out by machine. I'd prepared for this on the Wednesday though as we'd spotted the scratch on the Tuesday evening so I had a couple of sanding discs soaking in a bucket of Shampoo Plus for a couple of days:

C106.jpg

So with the laser pen put to good use again...

C105.jpg

...I proceeded to sand the paint with the PC on speed 2, firstly using the 2000 disc:

C107.jpg

After 4 passes and 6-8 microns of paint removed, the scratch was now no longer visible, just the sanding haze and pig tailing:

C108.jpg

C109.jpg

I followed up with the 4000 disc to make the marks slightly easier to polish out with the G220 and a 4" spot pad with 3.02. 2 hits were done in order to make sure all sanding marks were fully removed:

Scratch now gone:

C110.jpg

C111.jpg

There were some odd etching marks on the fuel cap, almost like something hot (such as hot metal filings?) had been flicked up onto the side of the car (they were only a couple of mm wide so no chance my camera was picking these up). These marks had polished out completely on the rest of the car but the fuel cap still wasn’t perfect so this was sanded back too:

C112.jpg

Polished out using the same process as the engine cover:

C113.jpg

Wet sanding increasingly seems to be the "in thing" to do just now, especially with people still fairly new to detailing and it is still a last resort to me - I’d much rather polish out defects if possible.

Sundays work came to around 4 hours so it was a nice easy morning, which allowed me to go into work on the Monday with a clearer state of mind. The correction work seemed to go on forever due to all the different contours and oddly shapen panels that only a supercar could have.

Monday - Day 4

The finishing polish stage began, using a 3M Finishing Pad and Menzerna PO85RD @ 1800rpm's:

C114.jpg

C115.jpg

A 4" finishing pad was used for the smaller areas:

C116.jpg

C117.jpg

That crystal clear finish we all love to see was showing nicely now :thumb:

C118.jpg

C119.jpg

C120.jpg

C121.jpg

The very last stage of polishing was a slightly unusual one...

Blackfire's Metal Polish was used...

C122.jpg

...to polish up the glass:

C123.jpg

This contains a certain amount of jewellers rouge and whilst it didn’t do much in the way of correction (I didn’t expect it to) it definitely helped to give a great crystal clear look to the glass.

It finishes down just like any other polish too:

C124.jpg

Now all the polishing was complete I had a little job to do before applying the LSP (Last Step Product)-

There was a tiny chip on the corner of the drivers side door handle so we ordered in some clear coat and had the local Porsche Approved Body shop mix up the correct paint for the car:

C129.jpg

Using a fine artist’s brush I firstly applied the white ground coat:

C130.jpg

This was then allowed to dry and then topped with the pearl layer:

C131.jpg

The last clear coat layer was then added once the pearl had fully dried:

C132.jpg

I was now fast approaching the end of day 4 and I wanted the first coat of protection applied to the car before I called it a night so after a quick coffee I cracked on.

Out came the duster to remove any polishing dust:

C125.jpg

I then gave the car a wipe down with Menzerna Top Inspection to remove any last remaining traces of polishing oils:

C126.jpg

1st application of Vintage followed (the customer has purchased his own pot of Vintage):

C127.jpg

I buffed the wax off with a PB Ultimate Mega Towel...

C128.jpg

...then called it a night bang on 9pm.

Tuesday - Day 5

As the 1st coat of Vintage was allowed to cure over night, I gave the car a wipe down with Last Touch and then applied a 2nd coat. It was extremely hot outside and the unit was like an oven inside so curing wasn’t going to be a problem - with the oils showing signs of rising after an hour or two.

My focus then turned to the interior:

The leather was suffering from a bit of colour transfer from the customer’s jeans:

C133.jpg

C134.jpg

This was fixed with the help of Raceglaze Leather Cleaner and a MF applicator:

C135.jpg

I worked the cleaner into the leather:

C136.jpg

Dirt lifted:

C137.jpg

Good as new:

C138.jpg

C139.jpg

Having cleansed all the leather, I then fed it with Raceglaze Leather Balm. Every single customer so far has absolutely loved the smell and look of this stuff so it gets the big thumbs up from us:

C140.jpg

C142.jpg

C141.jpg

I gave the leather a wipe down a few hours later to remove any slight smears that remained (all smears disappear over 24 hours in my experience but I didn’t want any for when the customer collected the car):

C143.jpg

The door shuts were waxed with Vintage:

C144.jpg

The seals were fed with another product from Raceglaze:

C145.jpg

C146.jpg

The tailpipes were polished up with Raceglaze Metal Polish and a CCS Light Cut Pad…

Before:

C147.jpg

After:

C148.jpg

I then sealed them with one of Blackfire's latest Polycharged products:

C149.jpg

C150.jpg

Onto the wheels, these were sealed with PB Wheel Sealant:

C151.jpg

Including the inner rims:

C152.jpg

We'd been sent several types of wash mitts to try out and whilst this one was no use for paintwork I had decided it had a good use...

C153.jpg

...for removing the sealant from the inner rims
icon_smile.gif

C154.jpg

C155.jpg

Tyres were dressed with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel and then buffed off 30 mins later:

C156.jpg

I then realised I’d forgotten to de-swirl the number plates:

C157.jpg

A 3rd coat of Vintage was applied and then removed after another wipe down with last touch to remove the oils from the 2nd coat.

The engine bay was dusted down and then dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant:

C189.jpg

C190.jpg

On a detail as extensive as this I usually write a list of things that need to be done so I checked everything had been done and was looking A1 and then gave the car one last wipe down with Last Touch.

I guess there's not much else to say other than here's the results of 32 hours machine polishing and over 55 hours of work in total – enjoy!

C160.jpg

C161.jpg

C162.jpg

C163.jpg

C164.jpg

C165.jpg

C177.jpg

C178.jpg

C187.jpg

C188.jpg

C191.jpg

C192.jpg

C193.jpg

C194.jpg

C167.jpg

C166.jpg

C168.jpg

C169.jpg

C170.jpg

C171.jpg

C173.jpg

C172.jpg

C174.jpg

C175.jpg

C158.jpg

C159.jpg

C176.jpg

C182.jpg

C179.jpg

C180.jpg

C183.jpg

C184.jpg

C186.jpg

C185.jpg

C195.jpg

C181.jpg

So there you have it, our first Ne Plus Ultra (TM) detail. I just hope the next one is equally enjoyable as this one was. I also hope you enjoyed the write up as it has taken bloody ages to put together!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
id love to do that as a job, i love cleaning my car (ive never done it to that extent) but id love to

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whats that big blaCK mat that the car is parked on in the first few pics??

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Whats that big blaCK mat that the car is parked on in the first few pics??

I think it catches all the runoff water. Not sure why you'd want it when you're outside though!

Basically, polish bliss are in a unit in Kintore, it's a small industrial estate, they got complaints about the ammount of Toxic's and acid waste going on the floor. (Next unit to them is the police) So they have to drain all the snow foam etc into a Big tank and disguard that way!

Great detail this, i was fortunate enough to see Clark doing the finishin touches the day i was there. Guy is amazing, then again that detail was well over the £1000 mark!

Great detail this, i was fortunate enough to see Clark doing the finishin touches the day i was there. Guy is amazing, then again that detail was well over the £1000 mark!

It's awesome but its hardly surprising that it cost over £1k. He said it took 55 hours. Even at £20ph its £1100.

But I suppose if you can afford a Lambo, you can afford to pay that sort of cash to clean it.

When is yours going in, Justin? ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
It's awesome but its hardly surprising that it cost over £1k. He said it took 55 hours. Even at £20ph its £1100.

But I suppose if you can afford a Lambo, you can afford to pay that sort of cash to clean it.

When is yours going in, Justin? ;)

Absolutely agree!! Detailing does not pay as well as people think, not to justify the blood, sweat and tears spent!!

Justin was tryin to con me into doing it...Eh naw! Audi paint! Pass!

Yup. People like to clean their own car and can do a few mates' or whatever, but theres a massive difference to that and doing it for a living.

Lets say it did cost £1100. It sounds a lot for "cleaning a car" but take his business costs, rent/water/electric etc, then all the products he uses, insurance, then the quiet times (probably not that often if hes well known/respsected/popular) then he hasn't really made that much from it.

No idea on the products, how much you'd use and that sort of thing, but if he really did charge him £1100 or there abouts then his business probably isn't making him looooads of money, but maybe he does it for the love.

All of the above is pure conjecture, someone feel free to correct me if I'm miles wrong! lol..

The main reason I got into detailing, was for the detail, surprisingly!

I love the tiniest things he spots/corrects and the delacacy with which he goes about the detail.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Yup. People like to clean their own car and can do a few mates' or whatever, but theres a massive difference to that and doing it for a living.

Lets say it did cost £1100. It sounds a lot for "cleaning a car" but take his business costs, rent/water/electric etc, then all the products he uses, insurance, then the quiet times (probably not that often if hes well known/respsected/popular) then he hasn't really made that much from it.

No idea on the products, how much you'd use and that sort of thing, but if he really did charge him £1100 or there abouts then his business probably isn't making him looooads of money, but maybe he does it for the love.

All of the above is pure conjecture, someone feel free to correct me if I'm miles wrong! lol..

Can't correct you coz i genuinely don't know. But i would imagine your spot on!

A detailers biggest issue is the cost of time. The unit will cost a moderate amounts its in the middle of no where really...Newish development tho!

Products, not a huge amount used and given that they are a major distributor for products on the web there will be heavily subsidised for their own consumption. Clark does 80% of the detailing Rich only a little bit. They've got an admin girl doing the orders and assisting on wee jobs.

Polish bliss are booked solid for major corrections till Feb 2010 and minor corrections till Oct. LOL! They are that good! They want to expand into the next unit (police) but it's not going to happen any time soon!

Couldn't agree more with you Ali and Dan you have hit it spot on IMO.

The detailing I do is purely a fun factor, each car is treated with the same love and attention that I give to my own, but with the added spanner of time constraints. Hence the lack of a break/lunch on most details on a Sunday.

Products wise, I would guess at very very little, especially with these Menz/3M products being so jolly good at what they do, so little is required.

Absolutely agree!! Detailing does not pay as well as people think, not to justify the blood, sweat and tears spent!!

Justin was tryin to con me into doing it...Eh naw! Audi paint! Pass!

New Audi's paint is softer Ali, aluminium bodywork means water based paint due to bonding difficulties with other paints.

R8 was relatively easy to detail (still took two days of 8-9pm) but in comparison to the RS4/6s that I have done, totally different kettle of fish!

edit; that is meant as interest info, as I know Justin's car is a couple of years old so still on the hard paint side of things

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
New Audi's paint is softer Ali, aluminium bodywork means water based paint due to bonding difficulties with other paints.

R8 was relatively easy to detail (still took two days of 8-9pm) but in comparison to the RS4/6s that I have done, totally different kettle of fish!

edit; that is meant as interest info, as I know Justin's car is a couple of years old so still on the hard paint side of things

Aye? Done an RS4 before and it just laughed at me...Didn't have the right products at all. I've a new toy coming! Rotary baby! :)

Can't correct you coz i genuinely don't know. But i would imagine your spot on!

A detailers biggest issue is the cost of time. The unit will cost a moderate amounts its in the middle of no where really...Newish development tho!

Products, not a huge amount used and given that they are a major distributor for products on the web there will be heavily subsidised for their own consumption. Clark does 80% of the detailing Rich only a little bit. They've got an admin girl doing the orders and assisting on wee jobs.

Polish bliss are booked solid for major corrections till Feb 2010 and minor corrections till Oct. LOL! They are that good! They want to expand into the next unit (police) but it's not going to happen any time soon!

LOL! No quiet time then. Probably quite a bit of it is profit, fair play to them. Clearly brilliant at what they do.

Couldn't agree more with you Ali and Dan you have hit it spot on IMO.

The detailing I do is purely a fun factor, each car is treated with the same love and attention that I give to my own, but with the added spanner of time constraints. Hence the lack of a break/lunch on most details on a Sunday.

Products wise, I would guess at very very little, especially with these Menz/3M products being so jolly good at what they do, so little is required.

I think you do it the right way tbh. Do friends cars or friends of friends just for a bit of extra pocket money.

You've got the skills to do it but trying to progress that into a business is a major difference.

Plus everyone seems to be 'detailing' these days. A few years ago I never heard it mentioned.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I refuse to take money to do other folks cars now. Then again i'll only do it as retrun favours. I.e Alan helped me do the bm, i helped on his clio. Stoddie fitted my coils i polished his intergra. It's purely fun, although i get very little fun from it lol...hence only doing it once a yr!!

Aye? Done an RS4 before and it just laughed at me...Didn't have the right products at all. I've a new toy coming! Rotary baby! :)

Nice, PM me info!

I think you do it the right way tbh. Do friends cars or friends of friends just for a bit of extra pocket money.

You've got the skills to do it but trying to progress that into a business is a major difference.

Plus everyone seems to be 'detailing' these days. A few years ago I never heard it mentioned.

Mate of mine has always said I should do more about it, i.e. business direction. But he can't seem to understand the fact that you need a; a paint depth guage for anything more serious than just PCing and b; insurance!! Agree on the recent boom in detailing, but it's because it has become so much more accessable to you and I, due to the safe nature and ease of use of Orbital Polishers.

I refuse to take money to do other folks cars now. Then again i'll only do it as retrun favours. I.e Alan helped me do the bm, i helped on his clio. Stoddie fitted my coils i polished his intergra. It's purely fun, although i get very little fun from it lol...hence only doing it once a yr!!

Have said many a time to members on here, fitment for detailing.