ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS failed/lights on dash

Hi, it started the other day when I was just driving along the motorway and the 'SERV and (ABS)' lights came on. They went off shortly afterwards and all was fine until I started her up this morning and they were lit up again. They have been lit up all day too, and the ABS isn't actually working either (found out when I skidded down the road :()

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jamie

Cheers lads, I did do a search but was wondering if anyone had any other ideas before I mentioned the brake switch thingy.

Do you reckon that's what it is then? I'm not paying £70 just to get it plugged in!

Bumder With A Buffer
Id give it a go first! Also worth noting about what this guy said...

Hey, I had the same prob recently, was brake pedal switch, i then replaced it and the lights still came on turns out that the cv gaitor clips had come off and there was grease every where and had covered the splines on the abs sensor which the abs system in turn would work properly, mite be worth checking!

I plan to look into mine tomorrow if I can be arsed :)

I'm not sure what CV gaitor clips are! I just messed with the brake sensor now and that's not done anything really. :(

Charged Superleggera
mines has been on since last august. i got it cliped on to the machine and it turns out it was one of the front abs sensors needded replacing. will cost about £100 to get it sorted but i will just get it done in the summer before it goes for its mot. however if it turns out it is the sensort then you will notice that the abs kicks in at random times and you may feel a grinding sensation when braking.

Check that the ABS rings themselves aren't cracked - I have the same problem as you, got advice here, took the wheels off and felt the rings, they're just behind the brake discs.

Perhaps a silly question but could I have run out of brake fluid or something? The brakes have been sounding quite noisy recently (I can't see through the bottle thing to see how much is left)! :(

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
Check that the ABS rings themselves aren't cracked - I have the same problem as you, got advice here, took the wheels off and felt the rings, they're just behind the brake discs.

mine broke off and was loose on the c.v joint gave an interinten fault.

also done 3 otheres that have come into work with the same problem.

Just inspected the two front rings, don't know how to get to the rears.

One of the teeth has a very small bit that has come off it, just a tiny bit of the corner kind of, could this be it?

Just inspected the two front rings, don't know how to get to the rears.

One of the teeth has a very small bit that has come off it, just a tiny bit of the corner kind of, could this be it?

That's your problem. Need a new one - check how many teeth it has, or at least a rough number, will either be 26 or 44.

Are you sure that this will be the problem? It's only a very small piece that's missing... not even 1mm I'd say.

No, I'm not a mechanic, but this was the problem for me. I heard that just a crack through the ring can be enough to fool the sensor into thinking there's a problem. Especially if the crack is big enough so the ring is slipping round the shaft and not turning in sync.

Okay mate I think I'll get it looked at :) any idea how much a new ring would be? 22 teeth I think it has.

I might have to check the teeth again then as I wasn't too sure. Can you replace these yourself? Thanks for the info mate. :)

Sorted, was the ABS sensor. It was such a relief when I drove off and that 'SERV' and ABS light went off! :D

Charged Superleggera
ah nice one mate. so how much did the whole thing cost including price of sensor and also price of fiiting

Sensor was about £30 I think from GSF, exact same as the Renault part (this one's Bosch though :D) and fitted it myself in 10 minutes. So circa £30.

Charged Superleggera
nice one. wa it easy to fit? and also how did you know which side it was?did you get it plugeed into a machine?

It had completely torn at the base! Was pretty easy to fit myself really, you just have to know how they go together.