ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

abs failure

2003 Clio 172
Right guys.....need more help.
Just replaced the ABS pump with a 2nd hand part.
And I am seeing exactly the same problem.
Untitled.png

Also, because of it, I am struggling to bleed the system with RSTuner......I hear no pump activity at all when i fire the motor from RSTuner.

Please help.....I dont know what else to do and now, I am without a car 😧

dan's cast offs.
how long have you had the car and in that time have you ever had any abs/braking related issues?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Is be checking the pump has power, Earth and CAN where needed firstly.

2003 Clio 172
Sorry for lack of replies guys.....spent ALL of yesterday on this.

I would give up n let someone else deal with it lol
Jeez dude......that kind of goes against what I use this community for, to learn or work things out myself. I did try that by the way if you will see above, with Renault who wanted £1800 to fix it.

Anyway......the news is......I got it fixed :)

@MicKPM You were on the money bud but I wish I had been on-line and seen your post before I ruled everything out by trial and error myself :)

So, after a few hours of checking and double checking for stupid things (yes, me - very possible) I started inspecting all of the wiring. This took a long time, obviously. But I did note a small green stain on the loom near to the crazy ABS connector.

Gung ho....I started ripping off the insulating tape.......and.......I found this.

jfKlb8dl.jpg
bdQen3cm.jpg

Cable had obviously been damaged somehow and damp/water had completely corroded the cable inside away. Nothing left. Just a hole.

So I cut out all of the bad/corroded cable.....and spliced in a chunk of 30 Amp cable, hope that's rated high enough. Anyway......that was that.....ABS spun into life and I was able to spend A VERY LONG TIME bleeding the whole circuit replacing the fluid with Type 200 (there was already blue in there)

FYI, I removed the new ABS pump and put mine back in as I was getting good at it :) so can hopefully return that.

Thanks for all of your help guys.....this has been particularly rough but very satisfying fixing it myself.

Also, makes a mockery of Renault who I am pretty sure would have still pocketed £1800 for a new ABS pump.....which would not have worked. They would have probably angled for a new loom after that.....IF they had managed to spot this.

Cheers again gang

Jinj

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Sorry for lack of replies guys.....spent ALL of yesterday on this.

Jeez dude......that kind of goes against what I use this community for, to learn or work things out myself. I did try that by the way if you will see above, with Renault who wanted £1800 to fix it.

Anyway......the news is......I got it fixed :smile:

@MicKPM You were on the money bud but I wish I had been on-line and seen your post before I ruled everything out by trial and error myself :smile:

So, after a few hours of checking and double checking for stupid things (yes, me - very possible) I started inspecting all of the wiring. This took a long time, obviously. But I did note a small green stain on the loom near to the crazy ABS connector.

Gung ho....I started ripping off the insulating tape.......and.......I found this.

jfKlb8dl.jpg
bdQen3cm.jpg

Cable had obviously been damaged somehow and damp/water had completely corroded the cable inside away. Nothing left. Just a hole.

So I cut out all of the bad/corroded cable.....and spliced in a chunk of 30 Amp cable, hope that's rated high enough. Anyway......that was that.....ABS spun into life and I was able to spend A VERY LONG TIME bleeding the whole circuit replacing the fluid with Type 200 (there was already blue in there)

FYI, I removed the new ABS pump and put mine back in as I was getting good at it :smile: so can hopefully return that.

Thanks for all of your help guys.....this has been particularly rough but very satisfying fixing it myself.

Also, makes a mockery of Renault who I am pretty sure would have still pocketed £1800 for a new ABS pump.....which would not have worked. They would have probably angled for a new loom after that.....IF they had managed to spot this.

Cheers again gang

Jinj

Wasnt knocking ya pal fair play for fixing it

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That'll be where some nice person in the past has probed the wire and didn't cover it up... Orible bastids!

Glad it is sorted though

2003 Clio 172
Wasnt knocking ya pal fair play for fixing it

Sorry bud.....just having a whine, been a bad week :D

That'll be where some nice person in the past has probed the wire and didn't cover it up... Orible bastids!

Glad it is sorted though

'Orrible indeed fella.......on a side note, took it for a tentative first drive this morning (wasn't finished till ~2am) and ABS issues all sorted.

I have a new little gremlin though that will be related to me stripping the car I am sure.

Have a slight and very intermittent misfire......say, 3rd gear WOT it holds back for a bit then goes. I did replace the end terminal for the earth strap to the battery as the end of mine was clinging on by about 5 strands so that is going to be my first port of call. This was replaced with a generic Halfords jobbie like this.....could that be a problem? Are they picky?

165365?$pd_main_v2$.jpg

Nothing else was really touched (such as HT leads etc)

Anything else I want to eyeball given the general area I stripped? Crank sensor perhaps?

J

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Crank senser shouldnt produce a miss tbh first place to look is coil pack ht leads n injectors

Can see how anything you have touched would be the reason you have a miss tbh

2003 Clio 172
Wee update......noted a fair bit of white dusting over the plug leads at the coil pack where they were all bunched together.

Gave them a wee wipe with a WD40 coated cloth and turned them to keep them apart.

All seems sorted now so probably a new set of leads in the near future methinks.

Cheers for the help and advice guys
J