ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS light in dash and jugging feeling when breaking in 1 & 2 gear at low speed

Clio Dynamic 1.2
Yo

I purchased an 03 plate clio dynamic 1.2 absolutely mint condition, 51K Miles etc.. about a month ago

Only passed my test a week ago so wasn't able to drive it before then, therefore only just realised this!

Once I hit 40 miles an hour or above my ABS and Serv light comes on and doesn't go off until I turn my engine off and turn it back on.

Also I get a jugging and jumping feeling coming from the brake when in slow speed for example when turning into side road or stopping at red light and brake power is seriously reduced due to this, almost feels like the actual brake is jumping back on my foot for a split second and the car makes a jug movement, when I first got it it made a constant squeecing noise when driving on left front tyre area.

I was just wondering if anyone had any idea what this could possibly be, no idea what to do or what to even look for and don't want to have to pay renault to check it out and tell me what it is!!

So if anyone has any idea what so ever what it could be I would really really appreciate a reply!

PS... I know I should have had someone test drive it before I purchased it but I was being a little tw@t at the time!

Thanks for replies in advance!:lolup:

Clio 1.4 16v 2003
Iv got the same problem with mine, iv plugged the computer in at work and found out its my abs ring so had a look and mines cracked so could be this.

Clio Dynamic 1.2
Iv got the same problem with mine, iv plugged the computer in at work and found out its my abs ring so had a look and mines cracked so could be this.

Cheers TraneGSY, I read up on some of this on google and some people suggested it may be that, could you maybe let me know if it did the trick if you do yours at any point as I will be abroad for a while so won't have time to do mine to see if its that.. is the ABS an easy thing to replace or shall I leave that to the qualified!?

Cheers dude!

Clio 1.4 16v 2003
Cheers TraneGSY, I read up on some of this on google and some people suggested it may be that, could you maybe let me know if it did the trick if you do yours at any point as I will be abroad for a while so won't have time to do mine to see if its that.. is the ABS an easy thing to replace or shall I leave that to the qualified!?

Cheers dude!

no problem mate planning on getting mine sorted within the next few weeks, and i have no idea how difficult its gonna be ill have to ask one of my technicians at some point and price up the parts. it should only be the rings, so it shouldn't be too hard but also depends on if you have the tools and space and a mechanical mind i guess, ill definitely keep you posted though.

Golfs
I had this on my Clio. Ring broken ABS extremely sensitive. Couldn't be bothered to buy a new ring, had a spare which was also cracked. Took the ring off, cleaned completely with a bench grinder wire wheel, cleaned inside with sandpaper, welded the crack carefully with an arc welder. Then shaped up with a file inside and out. Cleaned CV off with a wire brush and a file. Carefully tap on, all working fine!

Clio Dynamic 1.2
That would be brilliant thank you mate & I'm pretty new to all of this to be honest and am a computer technician so deal with very small things rather then mechanical repairs in that extend, but yeah if you could let me know if that worked for you and how much it set you back that would be highly appreciated!

The whole welding thing sounds fu*cking awesome but I don't think I'd have the b****cks to try and do all that myself lol not just yet anyways!

Golfs
Order an ABS ring off eBay then! About 3 quid I think. Or phone motor factors/Renault.

Should also replace the CV joint nut really.

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85110

Gives a guide. He recommends heating the ring up but I didn't bother I just used an old ring to carefully tap it round. Just wire brush and file lightly the CV joint round the ring area.

Welding isn't hard but no point really to save a few quid, I just CBA to go get one really.

Clio Dynamic 1.2
Thank you josho that's very helpful am gonna order two two rings tomorrow and give it a go and see how I get on have some of the tools listed in the threat but will have to find a few somehow but will let you know how I get on!! Cheers mate!

Golfs
No problems at all!

Think I used a jack, axle stand, 18mm spanner and socket and a 30mm socket and bar. Torque wrench and a 19mm for the wheel.

Can either take the ABS sensor off with a T40 IIRC Torx bit and remove 18mm bolts on the strut, the lower ball joint and a 16mm on the track rod end, take the hub right out or just remove the ball joint bolts and then get it pulled out enough to get the CV out.

Hope it goes easy for you! I'd recommend a bit of grease wiped around the inside of the ring.