ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS on Valver!

Ok, so another topic.. but hey! Its increasing my post count.. So... ;)

FAO: People who have ABS on their Valvers, and People who dont.. (Which, I guess you could say "All Valver Drivers.." )

Do people who dont have it, wish they did? Do they lock up wheels, skid much without it, loose control?

Do people with it think its worthwhile, comes on too easily (someone said it did), silly, wish they didnt have it?

I know some people will say its very worthwhile if they have it, or not if they dont.. but try and be unbiased! Wanna get some thoughts and see if I really do need to wait for a Valver with it.. or, get one of the many mint ones without it! (... but I will wait if I still think its worthwhile!)

Thanks.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

i dont have it but im not really bothered, with decent disks and pads it brakes great, and its one less thing to go wrong as well! Also less weight ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Adams_16v on 29 January 2004

i dont have it but im not really bothered, with decent disks and pads it brakes great, and its one less thing to go wrong as well! Also less weight ;)
Brakes great? As in, slows down but doesnt lock up?

Only worth it in current conditions, Icey as feck..... but apart from that I dont think ABS suits a car like a Valver.

Quote: Originally posted by ak16v on 29 January 2004

Only worth it in current conditions, Icey as feck..... but apart from that I dont think ABS suits a car like a Valver.
ABS wouldnt work on ice anyway - it has to have SOME traction.

How come you dont think it suits the Valver?

I like to be in control of my own braking. It seems to take a lot to lock up a 16v anyway, ive only ever locked up once unintensionally, (im using A539 yokos allround), and that was in real slippy conditions. I like the idea that the cup 172 hasnt got ABS as well, there seems to be less and less cars without it these days.

"real drivers dont need it" ah ah!

no mines hasnt got it, and ive never ever had a problem with the brakes on it , the car is standard and so are the brakes.

The Jinx

Having used ABS on one of my previous cars to avoid being decapitated by the rear end of a transit, I have to recommend any system, even if its a bit over zealous.

And ABS isnt just about not locking up in normal conditions. Its about being able to avoid an accident.

I have Williams brakes on mine, but being a 1.2.. is a bit lighter up front!

Got Toyos tho, so dont think its fair comparing.. they crap in the damp... hehehe.

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 29 January 2004

Do people who dont have it, wish they did? Do they lock up wheels, skid much without it, loose control?
No!

Only ever locked up once, and a decent driver like myself can sort that out no problem. Its not the worst thing in the world.

I brake seriously heavyly sometimes, like when Im racing, and you learn the limit of how hard to push it.

Its not like it doesnt brake without ABS, Im amazed how well my 16v brakes, a lot better than most other cars Ive driven.

I guess.

When I locked up last time, I did actually steer out of the way by stopping braking - so.. heh.

Well see.

The Jinx

Yeah. I mean if youre an ace and calm driver you can just cadence brake, but if youre not so confident in your own abilities it does afford you the opportunity to just stand on the middle pedal and concentrate on steering round your imminent death (in my case)

After my experience the other week Id have been inclined to say yes, but since then Ive been pushing the limits and testing myself (especially in the snow! hehe) and I dont think Id want ABS on there now.. only time Ive "needed" it was when I panicked because I thought I was going to die! lol.. next time I wont panic.

Its all about not panicing.. if you stamp, itll go..

I was half thinking about going on a skid pan!

ABS is good.........on the rd id rather always have it than not.

Despite what some egotistical maniacs might say about their skill.....the system bloody works!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i agree abs does the job it was designed to do and all manufacturer test have proved it dramatically reduces your stopping distrances.the only downfall is it makes your brakes virtually useless on ice and snow due to the system trying to stop the wheels skidding when its impossible to do so.in normal driving conditions i would prefer abs but in snow and ice i wouldnt.

Quote: Originally posted by ak16v on 29 January 2004

I take back what I said about having it in icey conditions, I never new that:oops:...never actualy drove a car with ABS on ice but can imagine it know....SCARY as feck!!...

I still think its something that dosent suit a valver.....Sports cars (be it a hatch) are designed to be driven harshly...or in another term to their limits, now by adding driver aids to a sports car it defies this purpouse as you are being restricted to drive to that certain limit....Though agreed ABS does serve a purpouse and is weclomed by many including myself, but for cars that it suits....you catch my drift or am I just waffling?:confused:

With the majority of rd users not having a clue how to drive (honestly, they dont) and none of them respectfully being able to take the car near its limits before they run out of talent its safe to say ABS will save their lives. Im sorry to sound derogatory but really.....get them out on the track and its shameful.....even the basics.

PLus, they have to take car of all those ladies and grannys that WILL be driving them.

Focus ST

I have ABS on my valver and it is a complete and utter WASTE OF TIME! Seriously, dont bother - the system may work well on other/newer cars but it is a bag of w**k on the valver - I would much rather not have it and am considering disconnecting it. It feels horrible when it cuts in, doesnt feel like its slowing the car down, and cuts in far too easily IMO.

Modern day ABS systems are a lot better than the ones on a valver.

Argument settled then Daz.....find a mint valver without ABS heh!

I have ABS on my 16v! :)

Does it come one too easily!? No! What complete and utter bullsh!t!! lol

Been driving my valver over 2 years - have probably only ever used it 2 times!!

BUT those 2 times may well have been 2 crashes without it!! NUFF SAID! :)