ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AC Condenser

Had my 2001 phase 1 172 in today for service of the AC. Garage informed me that the condenser is leaking and requires replacement to the tune of £500!!

No way on earth I'm paying that as I'm perfectly able to change the unit myself.

After a scan of the internet there appears to be so many available at various prices that I can't seem to identify which one is definitely for my car.

Does anyone know where I can find the renault part number for the condenser please.

Clio 172 phase 1
Don't buy it online what ever you do ! Go in store and ask for the net 5 trade price and see what they can do for you :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I just bought a 172 condenser from Renparts for ~£38. It's used of course but was perfectly fine. That was with the dryer unit too.

It's not a hard job to swap the condenser over, simply take the bumper off (this will take the most time!), undo the 4 securing bolts (two top, two bottom), the AC connections (one on the driver's side of the radiator, the other on the dryer unit on the passenger side)

With the front of the car jacked up a bit to give you clearance, slide the condenser out of the bottom of the car.

Give the O-seals a wipe if they're not too shagged and slide the new condenser up into place. Bolt in.

Go to kwik fit, get them to vacuum the system down for an hour, charge the system with 0.700kg and hey presto. You should now have working aircon.

IMG_1270.png

Last edited:
  ph2 172
Guessing I can still use the dryer that is on the car just now.

you could, but if the system has been open to atmosphere for any length of time there is a good chance dryer will be f**ked, and if the dryer isn't doing it's job the rest of the aircon system isn't going to last long. I would replace it as a matter of course.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
This is a job I had to do on the S40 recently, Icy cold A/C now and cost me £105 including regas. Much better than the £300 I was quoted!

you could, but if the system has been open to atmosphere for any length of time there is a good chance dryer will be f**ked, and if the dryer isn't doing it's job the rest of the aircon system isn't going to last long. I would replace it as a matter of course.

Fair enough, suppose there's no point in taking the risk that the dryer is no good after putting it back together and paying for a recharge. New dryer it is.