ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accuracy of Car Mags

BMW M3

When looking through the back of car mags such as autocar at the performance figures, there are some i think must def be wrong. For example... when comparing the 182 to the V6 thier 30-70 mph times are the same at 5.8secs, but the 182 beats the V6 by 0.4secs from 50-70mph. That just does not make sense???........

But on a more extreme note.... when comparing the 182 to a Aston Martin DB9 (5.9L V12!!!!) the clio beats it from 50-70mph. 182= 8.0secs AM= 8.1 secs

Now i know the element of weight is involved, but the Aston Martin has around 97 bhp per tonne more then the 182 and 273 Ib/ft more torque....... and it has a 5.9L V12!!!!!!

Surely these figures cant be right then or am i just being thick??

There are also many other examples in these mags....

Anyone have any suggestions????.....

gearing....

the test will be carried out in a sertain gear. same gear for both.

Also in an economical gear rather than best for acceleration. Since the 182 0-100 is around 16secs i somehow doubt accelerating 20mph from 50mph is going to take half that.

Which tbh is pretty stupid.

Clio 182 Trophy

Plus the tests would have been carried out on different days with different drivers etc etc. Only use them as a rough guide.
30-70 through the gears is the best indicator of a cars performance.

BMW M3

yeh... i just noticed that for most cars it takes longer for a 50-70mph run then a 30-70mph run which means they must start in an economical gear.

At least we can beat the Aston Martin in something lol.....!!!

Still would have thought the AM would win in 6th gear with the sh*t loads of torque it has.... oh well....