ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

acoustic valve

172 cup
tried to search but couldn't make head or tail of it, just wondering how i would go about removing the acoustic valve, where it is located etc. plus will i have to blank anything to keep prevent juddery idle?

thanks ad:approve:

106 GTI
Make sure the vac pipe is completely sealed, car may take a few miles to get used to it

Clio 172 Sport
Did mine on saturday and noted good results.

Take the passenger wheel arch off then to the front you'll see it attached to the same bracket as the horns. Take this bracket off the car then take the valve off the bracket and reattach bracket to car to hold horns in place.

follow the thin tubing upto the inlet and unattach, cut a little off the end and put a screen in (something to block it) then put the little bit you cut off back on inlet else your car will idle just over 1000rpm.

Hope this helps

106 GTI
follow the thin tubing upto the inlet and unattach, cut a little off the end and put a screen in (something to block it) then put the little bit you cut off back on inlet else your car will idle just over 1000rpm.

Can you clarify the bit in bold as this confuses powey?

Clio 200 Cup
Did mine on saturday and noted good results.

Take the passenger wheel arch off then to the front you'll see it attached to the same bracket as the horns. Take this bracket off the car then take the valve off the bracket and reattach bracket to car to hold horns in place.

Hope this helps

Hi, just wondered what you improve by removing the acoustic valve?

Ive read lots of threads on thsi subject but I cannot make sense of it all really. Does the valve shut off one of the two air feeds to the airbox at some point to cut noise or something?

Can anybody explain what the acoustic valve does, how it does it, and when it does its thing?

Cheers :D

2002 Cup172
Ive thought about takin the acoustic valve out of mine but think its pointless. I only opens fully at high revs to give you more air when the ecu is tellin the car to pump the most fuel. So am assuming that for the rest of the time the car uses the front inlet to draw in air from the engine bay area for normal running. and then when y give it the beans it opens suddenly and Gives you a turbulant really cold ram fed air so would give you more power with it in then without.

Any1 got any better idea's of why its there?

RS RIP
Ive thought about takin the acoustic valve out of mine but think its pointless. I only opens fully at high revs to give you more air when the ecu is tellin the car to pump the most fuel. So am assuming that for the rest of the time the car uses the front inlet to draw in air from the engine bay area for normal running. and then when y give it the beans it opens suddenly and Gives you a turbulant really cold ram fed air so would give you more power with it in then without.

Acoustic valve ; meaning something to do with sound/noise ...
It''s just there to reduce the decibels produced.

Remove the lot, when you do this you'll find a 6mm rubber tube which i blocked with a screw to stop the suction (valve is activated by this) and disconnect the leads (plug). Tape up the end of the leads (plug) to prevent moist etc coming in and you're done..

When already doing this mod, it's best (and very easy) to get some 65 mm cafs to replace the shitty ones left when removing the acoustic valve

2002 Cup172
Acoustic ; meaning something to do with sound/noise ...

thats rubish its not about just making noise at all.

it makes noise due to the air flowing over the valve itself so its porpose is to allow more air flow at higher revs where it needs more cold air at and higher air flow.

the fact that it closes at low revs means it also works at the other end of the scale say normal driving. lower speeds ect to 1. be more economical and 2. it saves the ecu doin so much work in the area of working out fuel to air ratio's. oh also hence the Acoustic Valve.

valve
Noun
1. a part attached to a pipe or tube which controls the flow of gas or liquid
2. Anat a small flap in a hollow organ, such as the heart, that controls the flow and direction of blood
3. a closed tube through which electrons move in a vacuum
4. Zool one of the hinged shells of an oyster or clam
5. Music a device on some brass instruments by which the effective length of the tube may be varied [Latin valva a folding door]

valve (v
abreve.gif
lv) 1. a. Any of various mechanical devices that control the flow of liquids, gases, or loose material through pipes or channels by blocking and uncovering openings.
b. The movable part or element of such a device.

2. Any of various structures that prevent the backward flow of a body fluid, such as blood or lymph. Valves in the heart, veins, and lymphatic vessels contain flaps (known as cusps) that close in response to pressure created by the backflow of fluid.
3. One of the paired hinged shells of certain mollusks, such as clams and oysters

VaVa
It's noise regulations according the the Renaultsport experts on the renaultsport forum.

And in my experience it made no noticeable difference to torque or power, whether in or out.

2002 Cup172
id leave it in helps when hoonin it around whisle a little change gear, hits cam each time, instant power, no need to look at shift light,

So its there for a good reason.

if it makes no difference in our out it might as well stay in.

RS RIP
id leave it in helps when hoonin it around whisle a little change gear, hits cam each time, instant power, no need to look at shift light,

Acoustic is having to do with sound/noise mate... look it up

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172

i dont understand this, your claiming it does the same as the throttle body,

if this was the case, why not just have a bigger throttle body,

the acoustic valve deadens some engine noise,

my first guess would be that it uses the air/preasure in the inlet manifold to create a similar note to the engine, only at 180 degree phase,
therefore canceling out various frequencies from the engine tone, and vastly reducing the noise it kicks out

dont quote me on that though, thats just a guess at how its works.

Audi TT

Sorry but does that make any sense to anyone?!?

Sounds like nobody is 100% sure about what this accoustic valve does and doesn't do :(

Clio 172
An answer from Allen Collen one of the panel of experts on the rs forum.

The indution noise will be different if you remove it - there could be some marginal improvement in performance but only if there was not enough air available when the butterfly was open. It is controled by the ECU and its objective was to reduce induction noise in line with an EU directive.

Thats from the trophy forum. So the valve is there for noise reduction, but it should only really affect you if you use the standard airbox

RS RIP
^^ 100% sure it's there for environmental issues ; noise

Look at cup-racers ; (or any fast go-car) the bigger the Cafs , the better. Valve is first thing thrown in the bin. Actually , when buying a genuine cup-racer (from Dieppe) it is'nt even there..

When going the tuning-route , you'll need to loose some stuff out the enginebay to make room for better air-supply to the TB

that's it , end of..

Clio RS 197
SDC10216.jpg

on this picture the black circular thingy.....is that just a breather for oil vapor?

inbetween the plenenum chamber and dipstick.