ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

actual tyre widths required

Black 182 + Recaros

Im looking for the actual tyre widths of the following.
( It says 205 but this varies considerably )

Can anyone with these different tyres please help. Thanks.

205 / 45 / 16 Michelin Exalto PE2

205 / 40 / 17 Goodyear F1-GSD3

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

Quote: Originally posted by MattyMarsh on 17 December 2004

Im looking for the actual tyre widths of the following.
( It says 205 but this varies considerably )

Can anyone with these different tyres please help. Thanks.

205 / 45 / 16 Michelin Exalto PE2

205 / 40 / 17 Goodyear F1-GSD3

i have these on my MK2 172, but i dont know what exactly you are after? Measurement in cm?

I presume you are talking about the sidewalls as some are pretty straight (square shouldered) and upright and others roll inwards away from the rim (rounded shouldered) to the treadblock giving less chance of rubbing on arches. Not a great description but im assuming this is what you mean.

Eh? The width of the two tyres should be same, barring minor manufacturer differences -.they are both 205mm wide.

However, the sidewall, the distance between the edge of the wheel and the edge of the tyre will be different, as the first will be 45% of 205, and the second only 40% of 205.

Or am I missing the point of the post and trying to teach you to suck eggs?

Sorry if I am.

Black 182 + Recaros

They should be the same but frequently there not.

If someone can provide the measurements then we will know the answer.

Thanks.

Black 182 + Recaros

Things like rim-protection can make a big difference to the size, especially if you dont have much room to play with.

Hi Matty,

The 205 is in "mm" which is 20.5cms or 8 1/16".

The 45 (sidewall) is a percentage of the tyre width which for the above is 92.25mm or 9.25cms or 3 5/8" by 16.

For the 17 its the same formula ie 205 remains the same and the 40 (%) (sidewall) is 82mm or 8.2cms or 3 1/4" by 17.

Hope this makes sense :cool:

Cya Stu

Black 182 + Recaros

Appreciate the info Stu, but thats not what Im looking for.

I simply want the real (actual) width measurements.

Can someone please get a tape measure (sometime when its not raining) and go and measure their tyres. (as illustrated above)

I know what Im asking for. It may sound daft, but please help me out.

I need to know for sure what the actual widths are for these 2 tyres.

Cheers.

Black 182 + Recaros

Anyone gonna help me out ? I dont want any more feedback, just the actual measurements. Please.:D

PLEASE - get the tape measure, go outside and measure the rear-view width of the tyre. Would take 2 minutes (maybe 10 if you cant find the tape measure ;) ).

205 / 45 / 16 Michelin Exalto PE2 - WIDTH: ?? CM

205 / 40 / 17 Goodyear F1-GSD3 - WIDTH: ?? CM

I know what you mean. I was at the tyre place on saturday getting my contis fitted, 205/45/16s, and they were lying next to an Avon 205/45/16 and the Avon did look that little bit wider, maybe due to the fact the contis have rim protectors.

Well pleased with the contis tho, wouldnt change brands.