ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AD08 good trackday tyre?

Hello,

So as it's coming up to the end of the year I'm looking at tyres for next year for trackdays.

Unfortunately, as much as I would like them, I can't afford R888s or A048s, as I will need to purchase wet tyres too.

I came across two different tyres, the 595 RSRs and AD08s. From what I've read 595 RSRs are a no-no, due to cracks etc, so I'm now seriously looking at AD08s.

This year I ran Michelin PS3s which have lasted me 5 trackdays, although they are pretty much destroyed now.

Are AD08s good trackday tyres? Are they far superior than the PS3s in dry? And also, how good are they in the wet?

I found them on Camskill for £65 a tyre (195/50/15) which from other sites seem to be incredibly cheap. Are they likely to go up in price from now, to the start of next year?

If they are very good on trackdays and I am correct in saying the above price is good, then I'll possibly order them within the next few days.

Thanks, Sam.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I had cracks in my RSRs they just wore out, lasted two years of road & track.

My mate gave me a brand new set of NS2R for what was left on them (red lines) & then proceeded to win the next six races in Max5.

Don't believe all you read.

There are two rubber compounds though.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I've had both the AD08R and the RSR. AD08R is the better tyre in the dry. The RSR is good but it's overstressed on the front of a Clio really and needs lots of camber and stiff suspension.

I was impressed with the RSR in the wet, I haven't had a chance to try the AD08R in the wet yet but they do have a better wet rating.

I've driven a MX5 on RSRs and they were much better on that than on the Clio, but it's a more balanced car with less weight transfer to the front wheels and needs less camber.

02 Iceberg 172
I did about 4 trackdays on my PS3's but recently bought a set of ADO8Rs - lowered my PB at the track I go to by almost 2 secs after that :) More grip, stiffer sidewalls - will take the abuse on track far better than the PS3s could so I would definitely recommend them for track work. I also use them on the road and find them pretty good, although are pretty noisy. Haven't had a chance to see how they go when pushing on in the wet, so can't say what they are like in the rain...

mk1 Octavia VRS
I've found them to be very good and predictable in the wet. Excellent performance in dry conditions too and are wearing well. Mine are still on 5+mm after 7 laps of the ring, 1 dry full track day, 2 dry track evenings, 1 full wet trackday and probably around 1500 road miles. At that price they are a bargain!

mk1 Octavia VRS
Mine were about £75 a corner when I bought them from black circles in March/April. Can't predict how long they'll stay at that price but that is the cheapest I've ever seen them so if I needed another set I'd be ordering straight away.

twingo
excellent tyres are the AD08R's. can't recommend them enough. the grip they provide in the dry is ridiculous for the cost of the tyres, and in the wet they are very predictable but i always treat standing water with respect. I have only done one trackday with the AD08R's in my twingo and they never let me down once but it isn't a full track spec car, set up for fast road and the occasional track day :)

65 a corner is a bargain

Many.
Echo the above really, Brilliant tyres from what I've experianced, both on a heavy Diesel Alfa and a Clio.

Price sounds epic too.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Purchased a set today - loved them on my last Clio so much I'm putting a set on the Cup