ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adam's budget racing thread

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Pics tomorrow from my first race at Donny. Just finished putting stickers on. The Lolvo is retired now Raz. Got myself the MG ZS for road use.
Probably why you never waved back lol.
Has it still got a sticker on the hood? Keep seeing a dark silver/grey one with the massive sticker on the bonnet

WRX
Great day today and brought home some silverware lol.

Took some time to get used to the way, the car now feels and I also had to scrub in brand new tyres. Made for an interesting start to qualifying. Ended up with a time of 1.30, which meant 15th on the grid for Tricolore and 24th for the combined Tricolore/Nippon race.
So on to my first race: Got off the line quite well but had to back off and then lost out on a few places. Eventually made them back up and then nobody was behind me. Carried on giving it some until I realised that everybody else behind must have retired. So I backed off and coasted to see the chequered flag.
Race 2 quickly followed on from the first and we were with the Nippons too. I was confident thany qualifying suggested so decided I neede to be a bit braver and go for it. Had a reasonably good start again and kept my foot in a bit more.
It could have been easy to get bullied and back off but I decided I was there to race. Made a few moves that I was very pleased with and was keeping up reasonably well with the other two new Clios: James and Tom, who it appeared jad latched onto tje back of Sonny. Then Sonny had his off and thrte were yellows at Roberts chicane again which I think I backed off a bit too much for and then had Paul Flinders in his MR2, whom I had a good tussle with earlier back in my mirrors. Decided there was a big enough gap between us and just concentrated on bringing it home. Ended up with a fastest lap of 1min 27.437, which I was really pleased with

So both races had some action for me, had fun and made it through the day, without a scratch.
So it had exactly what I had hoped for and would like to thank all the others on here, who made the day easier for me.
Let's get some more drivers out there!

Last edited:
  WRX
Well done on the first race Adam, I bet your buzzing.
Cheers Morgan, yes thrilled with both results. The adrenaline rush is in a different league to the thrill of a trackday.
Could do with a trackday/test to really get a feel for the car now.
Couple of photos from the day:

20140608_082639_zpshvqreikv.jpg

20140608_190647_zpsdn7puzuh.jpg

Clio 172 Cup
Well done Adam! How does the Tricolore Trophy work? I see there's classes A,B,C,D and E. What does each class mean? Over 18 cars racing its a lot of classes!

Is class E the standard production class?

182cup & 172 racecar
Well done Adam, glad you enjoyed it.

Made a change having more time to talk to people and help out a little. But I'll be back.;)

WRX
Well done Adam! How does the Tricolore Trophy work? I see there's classes A,B,C,D and E. What does each class mean? Over 18 cars racing its a lot of classes!

Is class E the standard production class?
Yes the different classes are based on engine size and whether they are 8v or 16v etc. Then Class E is Production 1601cc and over, Class F up to 1600cc. Then Class G is cars allowed to race, that don't fit into any of the above- turbos etc.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
fantastic adam glad you had a good day, any vids?
mine is still under construction at the moment as house improvments taken over thanks to the misses but have been given the green light to spend spend spend once i have got it done.

WRX
No vids I'm afraid, I had hoped to get a decent camcorder but didn't have time in the end. Would have had some action but nevermind. I'm hoping some that were around me, have some footage. I will link if anybody posts to Youtube.

WRX
Just read my race report on my laptop. Apologies for the spelling etc. I wrote it on my phone and now regret it.

It was good wasn't it!

I was impressed how well you were going for production class as well.

Didn't get to meet you in person, but the car looked good.

WRX
Found a video from the car behind at the start. I will post it later, when home as I'm quite proud of it.

WRX
Here's the vid, I love watching it. Pretty brave for only my second race start, if I do say so myself lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
  WRX
So Silverstone report:
Arrived and said my hellos to everybody near to the Burpspeed lovebus. Went to sign on only to find I had been registered as Matthew Gittings. A bit weird as that's my brother's name but hey ho. Sorted all that out and went to scrutineering. Only a slightly loose seat to sort so that was a relief. I was advised that even though I don't need them as my car is roadgoing, I should get bonnet pins/aerocatches so that will be addressed soon.
Qualifying went pretty well and I was happy with how the car felt. Qualified in 12th for Race 1, the stand alone Tricolore Trophy race and 16th for the combined race. A certain T. Hunter just behind me for both.
Race 1, I felt that I started reasonably well but a 306 in front looked like it had stalled, lack of experience/confidence meant I backed off a bit and saw this blue 106 go sailing past lol. Got settled down and just pushed on. Eventually got past Tony (felt good) and started to get away a bit. Then had a good lottle tussle with Tom in a Class A Clio, as how shall I put it? He was a little ambitious in parts and let me through lol. He was clearly quicker than me and I have to drive mine home so I didn't bother putting up much of a fight when he caught me back up.
Then thankfully saw the chequered flag and finished in 11th overall, first in class.

Race 2 I didn't get a good start and the pesky 106 got ahead again for a while. Had a good little tussle with Jon in the green MX5 which I eventually got passed after a move that I was chuffed about, having sold him a dummy to the right then going past on the left.
Finished 14th and again first in class.
So another great day for me, two trophies, smiling from some good racing and I could drive the car home unscathed.

Video from Race 2 as it's a new camera and I didn't press the right button for the first race (facepalm)
[video=youtube_share;hL-lyCjxY_M]http://youtu.be/hL-lyCjxY_M[/video]

Last edited: