ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advantage of a staggered wheel set up?

Just looking through my lap timer from Blyton a few weeks ago and I've noticed I was near 2 seconds a lap quicker on the MR2's heavy OE wheels with 195/50/15 front and 225/45/16 rear running NS2R 180's versus the 20kg less unsprung weight (total) OZ Ultraleggeras with 195/50/15 front and 225/50/15 rear on Nankang AR1's.

Conditions were damp in places on the NS2R's as well.

Can't get my head around it TBH. Watching the vids back on the AR1's I was pushing just as much and grip felt better on the day. Didn't have many consecutive clear laps on the AR1's but was still pushing when I did. I thought it would be the other way around with the AR1's being 2s a lap quicker.

I know Lotus and RWD race cars run
staggered but surely a staggered wheel set up cant be that much of an advantage?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly just the spring rates were better matched to the NS2R or you were scrubbing more speed on the brakes with the grippier tyres

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Interesting post to be fair. You'd think the afternoon session after getting more familiar with car etc you'd be getting better times...

Possibly just the spring rates were better matched to the NS2R or you were scrubbing more speed on the brakes with the grippier tyres
Stiffened up the dampers throughout the day. Fastest lap on the NS2R's was 12 clicks from soft front 8 rear. Went up progressively to 24/22 on the AR1's.

Could well be the factor but 12/8 very soft.

Side by side of speeds, you could be bang on scrubbing more speed.

NS2R's
Screenshot_20190723-184627_RaceChrono.jpg

AR1's
Screenshot_20190723-184646_RaceChrono.jpg

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Ok, I’ll put it another way.

3e8a55402dccfcc1d86ec1709be0bd50.jpg

Given that you’re in some low power NA ‘shite’, carrying speed is very important for you. [emoji16] There’s more deep red on your slower lap, indicating you scrubbed more speed. But this isn’t racing telemetry here.