ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice.....Clio 182 or Megane 225?

boxster S
Hi guys,

I posted on here a couple of days ago asking for ownership experiences of both 182 and 197 as I'm interested in buying a Renault Sport product.

After looking on Autotrader I came across the Megane 225. They are about £4.5k for a MY2005, which isn't far off a good MY2005 Clio 182.

I know this is a Clio forum but has anyone got any ownership experience of the Megane 225 and how did it compare to the 182?

Also, anyone know the real world pace difference between the two if any?

Cheers,

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I've normally got both cars. Depends what you want 225 is a good allrounder and better on the motorway.
182 is very good and capable a to b car across b roads and apart from the stiff clutch better in town

I've just bought an R26, but I had a 182 a while ago.

Obviously the Megane is the much better all round car, and easier to live with everyday. Of course I havent had the R26 on track yet (but I will!), but the 182 is a hoot on track, but I'm sure the R26 is epic too, despite being bigger and heavier.

For your price range is looks like you'd get a really nice 182, or a low end Megane.

I'd personally never buy a car at the lower end of the scale, so I'd get a VERY nice 182 personally.

Inferno 225 cup
My Megane isn't a dog, I could put it up for £5k but at the present moment they're not fetching that much so it's £4250.

I my opinion my Megane is one the best out there for that price, mechanically and the body work.

You just have to be Careful what you buy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It really depends what you want it for.

IMHO clio is more fun on track, better on fuel, but megane is comfier for motorway journeys and easily tuned to be faster by a fair margin.

BG182FF
the fat you cant switch off the traction control over 30mph would make me less keen to buy a megane. But really that would only be an issue if you were tracking it ...perhaps

225 Cup & Williams
the fat you cant switch off the traction control over 30mph would make me less keen to buy a megane. But really that would only be an issue if you were tracking it ...perhaps

Is hardly intrusive anyway. If that really bothered you cup/cup packed megane a are just as easy to come by. You can turn the tc fully off on them.

I think they are. Same target audience, just ones a bit more expensive and bigger, and a bit nicer to live with everyday.

A golf gti is an old mans hot hatch really, not in the same league as renaultsports IMO (and I don't mean in performance terms by that)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd say a golf and a megane are pretty comparable TBH.

But anyway people can compare anything they want, sometimes people choose between going fishing or doing a trackday, if its two options they are considering then they are comparable even if they have little in common.