ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed 172 Cup Handling

Clio 172 Cup
I have noticed that the steering feels vague almost like there’s loads of play and not connected, I am planning on refreshing the shocks with genuine cup shocks and updated springs and updated Powerflex steering rack bushes as a start over next few months. Any ideas or suggestions how to improve remedy the steering feel

Clio 172 Cup
I haven’t had it checked mate but maybe worth doing after I got everything done, I have been told the steering rack bushes wear and cause vague steering ?

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Worn bushes could be the issue but check your track rod ends and inner joints too. A decent alignment might be all it needs though.

Steering vagueness plagued me for ages. I had new inners, rack bushes, bump correction ends, solid top mounts with asts, uprated wishbones, new quick rack.. Once corner weighted and aligned with all that has it made the steering very pointy and stable, though Im still chasing handling and know theres more to get out of it. You can weld the lower uj as well as its bushed but isnt needed on epas setup

I tend to work from the road backwards as that tends to give you the right priority in your thinking

Are your tyres the correct size, a decent brand, not excessively old and in good condition?
Are tyre pressures correct?
Are the tyres mounted on the correct width and offset of rim?
Are the wheels aligned correctly (toe and camber make a huge difference)
Are the wheel bearings in good condition (no play when jacket up, or noise when driving)?
Are all of the bolts in the front suspension tight (once over with a torque wrench and paint mark them)?
Are the balljoints in good condition, boots intact and no play (worn balljoints go slack and have a much worse effect than soft bushes)? Check bottom balljoints and inner and outer track rod ends
Are the bushes in good condition? Off the top of my head, topmount, lower wishbone, steering rack. ARB too but it wont give the symptoms you describe.
Once you know that the various pivots are in the correct place and controlling movement properly, then look at damping and springs.

Far too many cars on the road with nice spring and damper kits and worn bushes or balljoints because £400 on konis looks better on the internet than £400 at a garage to have your bushes and balljoints done.

Unless you're going to be competing, and therefore uprating lots of bits, I'd work through the standard parts, replacing any which are worn until it drives nicely and then start your upgrades.

Clio 172 Cup
That’s a great response mate thanks tyres are 195/45/16 Toyo t1R about 4 months old I have gone through about half of your list I guess now it’s ball joins bushes ect I have got some brand new cup shocks to go on the car and some Powerflex rack bushes as a starting point thanks for the reply buddy it’s really appreciated

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
rear shocks make it feel terrible so if your planning on doing fresh shocks anyway start with them, then if you haven't already id look at inner track rods, track rod ends and rack bushes

then worth a good alignment setup after all of that from somewhere reputable,

Megane275R / 172 mk2
Toyo T1R’s are utterly shat I do not know why so many people use them. May as well have your wheels wrapped in bread rolls.

You should get Michelin Pilots or similar. I had Toyos on my Saxo years ago after Yokohama’s and it killed the feel of the car. Good tyres should not be underestimated. I’ve tried tried all kinds of performance tyres over the years and recently had several sets of Cup 2’s (on Megane trophy R not Clio) they make an incredible difference. Even coming from super sports on my last trophy which were soft and reduced the directness of the steering. Honestly I’d get shot of those T1R’s and get some pilot sport 3 or 4’s on before spanking money anywhere else. The tyre is what translates the whole thing to the road so if they’re too soft you just loose directness in the steering. Give it a shot and see what you think. Good luck.

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks for the reply mate I have had other people advising the same and when it’s wet or damp the whole situation becomes so much more unbareable it’s a good shout on the tyres and it’s been in the back of mind

Yeah agreed on T1-r, I wouldnt run them on my wheelbarrow.

Rainsports are pretty good all round, or if you have the budget, then the michelins get a good rep.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
That’s a great response mate thanks tyres are 195/45/16 Toyo t1R about 4 months old I have gone through about half of your list I guess now it’s ball joins bushes ect I have got some brand new cup shocks to go on the car and some Powerflex rack bushes as a starting point thanks for the reply buddy it’s really appreciated
Bingo

Megane275R / 172 mk2

This looks lovely! I have some fairly hooptey tyres on my 172 Cup at the moment too but will be upgrading them when I sell my Lotus. Michelin’s look so much better too and fit the wheels perfectly. It’s what the car wasn’t fitted with as standard so I’m sure sure Renaultsport gave this a lot of consideration. Let me know how you get when out change tyres i’d be interested to hear if it solves your problem.