ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed - cambelt snapped

Clio Cup

Goto citizens advice perhaps. First write them a letter (cc renault uk) saying what you want and the fact that their policy contravenes consumer statute being sale of goods act 1979 and the new eu amendments - fit for purpose, also perhaps misrepresentation being a false statement of fact about cambelts being dureable for a stipulated mileage, give them 10 days to respond and threaten legal action also in the letter. Or if they have made you pay up already do the above then take them to the small claims court using the online service below-

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp">https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsphttps://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp">

Clio Cup

Might be wise going to the local library and taking out one of those Which Consumer law guides, they have sample letters in there that you can send out and also explain the whole process of making claims.

182... again!

There is a similar story on the back of this months Which magazine (july). Guy took garage to court for "breach of contract for supplying a car of unsatisfactory quality" Tensioner went 16K before it was due to be changed, repairs cost £1885!! Got almost £3000:D

2 CLIO 16 VALVES

Quote: Originally posted by desmondo on 22 July 2005

Ouch!

Just had Sunwin call. All the valves are dead and the engine needs a new head! Renault UK will only pay 50% of the cost leaving me with a bill for £1,519. Not what I wanted to hear.

How can it costs three grand to rectify this! Looks like its going to be more economical in the long run to forefit the 4 hours labour and take it elsewhere for a new engine to be fitted. WTF is all that about.

:mad:

Think Sunwin cant be doing theyre job properly, I m a service advisor at a main dealer and have had a similar case in this week the car was higher milage than yours and on a 51 plate, it got a 30% contribution from Renault Warranty , Renault UK then offered a further contribution covering most of the cost proiding they has FRSH (unfortunatly they didnt) You need to find out if Renault UK are paying the 50% or if it;s the ICM contribution.

mk1 Ph2 Clio 16v turbo

Just think, if it mullered the head, it must have seriously gouged the pistons (lower compression and performance and with the cutouts, possibly weaker pistons in the future.) Id try and strike a deal where you get a second hander engine for £600 and get them to put a new cambelt on it and fit it for free but with no future warrenty on the actual engine or something like that

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

if you drive it hard, err on the side of caution..... i recently changed my cars belts at 30k for the clio and 50k for the audi.... as they both have a hard life.....

peace of mind and lack of valve hitting piston springs to mind.!

If your fully comp, claim on your insurance fella. They will write it off at that cost to repair.

[Edited by Smokey on 23 July 2005 at 10:39pm]

Just to let you know, Renault UK have footed 75% of the repair bill. Which has left me with £750 to pay. TBH Im happy with this - Renault Customer Services replied to my post on the renaulsport.co.uk forum asking me to call them. I did and they offered me 75% as a good will gesture. They wouldnt budge from this offer. I contacted Trading Standards and they said that Renault had no obligation to do this and that its down to the supplier (Motorpoint) for providing goods not fit for their purpose. Im within my rights to take Motorpoint to court over this if I want to but I dont think I will bother.

Anyway I now have the car back and all is good and well as shes in perfect health. :)

Cheers for the advice folks.

Rich