ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice needed - New Tyres Rubbing!!

Hi,

After much deliberation I have finally got my new tyres. I have 17" turinis and had 205-40-17 Toyo's on the rear. These are now on the front and I had new Michelin Pilot Sports put on the rear, 140 quid fitted which I thought was a touch as they are 100 quid on my tyres. The only problem I have is they rub when going over speed bumps - this never used to happen with the Toyo's and they are the same size, what's going on, this is with just me in the car, I can only imagine it will be worse with passengers!!

Cheers

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Different brands of tyres are slightly different in shape on the shoulder of the tyre , i can only imagine the michelins are slighyly more square and the toyos are more rounded causing the tyres to rub .

Mustang, S13, AX GT
They shouldn't be rubbing at all on that size, I've got the same size tyres and a few mm clearance on mine.

Well hopefully they'll round off a bit, can't have them rubbing if I have passengers. I have clearance when looking at the car, it's just the bumps causing probs. Got them from a place local to me in Blackfen called SE Tyres.

Cheers!

They shouldn't be rubbing at all on that size, I've got the same size tyres and a few mm clearance on mine.

you cant say that as its down to the offset of the wheels more than the tyres.

I used to get that problem but now have an ET42 offset so no scrubbing at all at the rear.

Best thing I can suggest is put the pilots on the front and the toyo's back on the rear - get some eagle F1's next time - in my eyes better tyre and good side walls for this sort of problem

I am however getting scrubbing on the front inner arches after just changing my tyres - put some parada'd on the front and rubbing like hell, tried some P-Zero's and although not as bad it still rubs so going back to good old eagle F1's tomorrow - if it still rubs then the shocks must have settled a bit and need lifting a bit.

Yeah might have to do that, shame as I wanted the new tyres on the rear, if your Parada's were giving you grief at the front I guess these might with me too. Would altering the pressures help at all, don't know what the garage put in but it's quite noisy now and felt a bit twitchy above 80 (Nothing major but noticable from before)?

Just been for another drive - just me in the car, they rub only coming off of speed bumps but afraid to think how they'll be with passengers. Also, they are very ery noisy, is this just due to them being brand new or the pressures - or both?? I haven't checked what pressure they put in yet as it's been chucking it down here - will this alter the road noise or the rubbing much?? Tim, isn't there more room in the front arches, might be better that way round as you say but you're still having probs with your new tyres??

mine is bloody low! think my coilovers have settled a bit over the last year and so now could do with a slight adjustment to get back to where they were when I had them set up.
Having the tyres on wednesday morning so will let you know

Nope, were on the car when bought it over two years ago (from a former member), never had a problem before, must just be the tyres (or it's lowered and I don't know it, trying to find some pics to post up!!

I just got my new Goodyear Eagle F1's as a I thought the side wall is much different and I no longer have any rubbing so best advice I can give is get a pair of them.