ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on alloys?

Renault Clio
I'm completely new to all this so I’m sorry for my lack of basic knowledge, I’ve got a 2004 clio very basic and I’m thinking of fitting these alloy wheels on the car, i think I've got the right size, the one's I’m thinking of buying are 5.5x14, just wondering if they are easy enough to fit myself, I’ve got all the tools to raise the car and take the wheels and alloys off, i have no idea how to put the new alloys on i was just gonna try and wing it and hope it all fairly straight forward, is there anything i should be aware off and thoughts on the alloys?

Also how will this affect my insurance, do i have to inform them immediately before i take it out on the road?

PzQUkDM.png

oR1deHI.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
When I was younger, few years ago now lol, they would hike the insurance for aftermarket alloys. I assume because the car becomes more 'desirable' or puts you in that class of yoofs that play loud music and ownz the road. I would certainly check beforehand mate but as mentioned stick to oem. This your first car mate?

When I was younger, few years ago now lol, they would hike the insurance for aftermarket alloys. I assume because the car becomes more 'desirable' or puts you in that class of yoofs that play loud music and ownz the road. I would certainly check beforehand mate but as mentioned stick to oem. This your first car mate?

This. Gives the boy racer impression etc. Not many alloys suit the clio imo. For what you'll pay for those (brand new) i assume, you'd get a nice set of 182 alloys or turinis which will suit it so much more

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
First thing to make sure is that the wheel will fit the cars bolts. You will notice your car has 4 bolts holding the wheel on and that alloy in the first pic has 5 bolts.
I might be wrong but think you will need to find some 4x100 ET 45 wheels ideally (the ET number is less then the wheel will sit further out and make the wheel look wider if that makes sense)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
You *should* tell the insurance company but im sure we all have something that isnt declared (apart from me:wink:)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i'll call them up before i buy, whats the difference then between oem and other alloys? Yeah first car haha

Looks like a nice first car mate. A tad better than my b reg 1.0 fiesta, which you probably won't remember :(

I'm getting old :( :(

If it was me and could give any advice. Make sure it's mechanically sound, tyres are good and there's plenty of juice in the tank. I loved driving my first car, good times.

clio expression
So something like these? These will fit like a glove, no hassle or anything?

GxDj3o1.png
With 195/45/16s you should have no issues, the alloys you currently have are the 15'' version of the 172 alloys, desireable in their own right, plus tyres are cheaper, id be sticking with them personally and putting the cash towards upgrading consumables

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
In 1997 I thought it was ace and some of the s**t I put on the car looking back is laughable but hey I was young lol. That pic above looks great tbf

In 1997 I thought it was ace and some of the s**t I put on the car looking back is laughable but hey I was young lol. That pic above looks great tbf

Perils of being young mate. Can't beat your first car. Its like your first love, you never forget.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
You just need to make sure they fit the car.

Four stud - wheel bolts
Bore size- the middle bit needs to be the same as the ones you take off. For example on mine the centre bore is 60.1mm. Unsure what yours will be, someone will know or just google it.

If you got aftermarket wheels like the ones you posted. Aftermarket meaning a wheel not made for the car but will/should fit directly or with spigot rings.

Spigot rings- plastic or metal circular rings that fit inside an aftermarket wheel so it fits your size hub, where the wheel came off.

Example of why you would need spigot rings.

Wheels with a centre bore of say 74.2 will need spigot rings to make the hole smaller to fit your size hole. Do not run aftermarket wheels without the rings mate

Hope that helps

Clio 182

1997?! I can only imagine the body kits you had! I was learning how not to s**t myself back in 1997, I was only 3 haha:flushed:

You just need to make sure they fit the car.

Four stud - wheel bolts
Bore size- the middle bit needs to be the same as the ones you take off. For example on mine the centre bore is 60.1mm. Unsure what yours will be, someone will know or just google it.

If you got aftermarket wheels like the ones you posted. Aftermarket meaning a wheel not made for the car but will/should fit directly or with spigot rings.

Spigot rings- plastic or metal circular rings that fit inside an aftermarket wheel so it fits your size hub, where the wheel came off.

Example of why you would need spigot rings.

Wheels with a centre bore of say 74.2 will need spigot rings to make the hole smaller to fit your size hole. Do not run aftermarket wheels without the rings mate

Hope that helps

Bet hes now like.... what?

@White_Tiger just noticed your only 17 and most likely just passed.

If i were you and speaking from experience. At that age you will most likely kurb/and or f**k your first car up. So I'd leave it as is. For now at least

Clio 182
Bringing this back round to being on topic. Your car looks good, I would keep it that way. My first was a Clio, left it standard, didn't even have alloys. I just used my money and saved up for my next car. 1st cars are 1st cars, save up and move on to something better.
That's my opinion away, I'm usually wrong...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Your car looks tidy as it mate . I'm not a fan of those alloys either , stick to the oem look .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The car is great except from this dent, anyone know if it can be fixed and how much it would be?
kkTWFFw.jpg
Shame about the dent . Google PDR or paintless dent removal in your area . Typically a PDR guy would charge about £40 a dent , might be a little more for that . You'll only know if you ring one and ask .