ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on mods to 182

Clio Sport 182
[h=2][/h]
Hey guys. just a bit of advice really. i have a clio 182 and was wondering on your advice on where to start in terms of modifying it. It currently has a pirtek exhaust and and an air induction kit but apart from that its pretty standard.
It already has got enough power for now so was just wondering the best way to improve it in terms of handling? Have a fairly limited budget. help and advice would be much appreciated.​

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Ive never heard of a pirtek exhaust lol pirtek make silicone hoses, i think u mean a milltek exhaust :)

Phase 1 sport
Im in the same boat as you and from various threads on here improving handling on a budget the best way too go is :

New front and rear dampers - can get genuine renault dampers for a very good price from wests renault on here.

Cooksport/eibach springs - cooksports have more of a drop and get very good reviews

New top mounts, bearings etc - also from west renault in traders section.

Renew all bushes (wishbones, steering rack, arb), balljoints and inner/outer track rod ends - can either use powerflex or genuine renault parts which are more than enough for a car used on the road.

Could fit camber bolts on front and shims on rear if you wanted.

Get a proper four wheel alignment done.

That should get the car back too what it was when it was all shiny new. Probably better due too springs and proper alignment.

If you wanted too go further you could fit a whiteline rarb - group buy on here or camskil do them for a good price.

Pure motorsport do a top mount and strutbrace kit that would also help sharpen things up at the front. Obviously wouldnt need renault top mounts if you were to go this way.

Thats pretty much it but if ive missed anything sure someone will tell us.

Clio Sport 182
Haha thats the one. budget isnt a real issue. not planning to do it all at once. more like a project really.

Spoke to one of my mates who is doing up a starlet and we thought should start with the handling first before doing any more to the engine.
As much as I want to make it more powerful i do want to go round corners as well!

Cheers for advice buddy

Phase 1 sport
Ok, if budget isnt an issue you could go for coilovers not had any experience with different makes myself but can get different kits from the likes of kw, bilstein etc.

Just depends how what the cars being used for and how far youre willing to go. Mines going to be fast road/track so will be going the new route described in my last post.

Have you thought about brakes as well?

Clio 172 Cup Mondial
what poppy said my 182 handled okay when i bought it but came with s**t tyres and and standard and knackered everything. fitted pe3 tyres to front which improved stability at speed and braking and much more grip in the wet and dry. my car was a bit skippy on the back end on bumps soo as i wwas going to lower it i changed the rear dampners and put eibach sportlines. :) i had my mot the next day which failed on track rod ends which was ruining the handling. Having all of this done has seriously made this car handle twice as good and the grip limit is very high! just waiting for tarmac tempertures to rise above 10 degrees as I find that makes a big difference. also looking at the changing the rear tyres as they are odd tyres and one is a dump one. hope this helps !

Phase1 172
Your car is are very capable in its current guise , I'm new to a clio (205 owner) , and I'm going to do a few track days etc and learn the cars character before I change any thing , at least then you know if your changes are a positive or negative , slapping a set of coil overs on isn't always a good thing to do . My opinion anyway dude .

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Brembo HC plain/ventilated front brake discs, standard OEM rear brake discs, your favourite choice of pads on the front (DS2500's, Pagid, CL's, something decent) and OEM rear pads. Braided brake lines (Goodridge) and uprated fluid (such as Motul RBF600 Dot 4.1 or similar). There's your brake setup sorted for most things apart from hardcore track action.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
unless you have purchased a shed, the 182 should handle very well as it is; its one of the strongest points of the 182!

PB Clio 172
You don't need to spend lots on these cars if they are being used on the road. Some of the advice on here sounds like u have just brought a 1.2 lol

Sharpen things up, why get new dampers if your old ones are fine.

Upgrade as things wear out that's what I would do. I.e brakes, tyres etc. Decent rubber is so over looked imo

Clio Sport 182
what poppy said my 182 handled okay when i bought it but came with s**t tyres and and standard and knackered everything. fitted pe3 tyres to front which improved stability at speed and braking and much more grip in the wet and dry. my car was a bit skippy on the back end on bumps soo as i wwas going to lower it i changed the rear dampners and put eibach sportlines. :) i had my mot the next day which failed on track rod ends which was ruining the handling. Having all of this done has seriously made this car handle twice as good and the grip limit is very high! just waiting for tarmac tempertures to rise above 10 degrees as I find that makes a big difference. also looking at the changing the rear tyres as they are odd tyres and one is a dump one. hope this helps !
Yeah buddy cheers. i had to change both rear tyres a couple of weeks ago because who ever had it last bought some cheap tyres and they were bulging and out of shape.
Dont want to get obsessed with handling. just dont want to concentrate purely on power!

182 ff
am new to 182s, i have just had new standard dampers/top mounts/dics,
eibach sportslines/braided hoses.(steering rack t rods ends on it).

my advice is new dampers,springs(sportlines are abit crashy on bad roads in town)but stops body roll,corners tighter.
they makes the car look alot better.
as for top mounts maybe just get new bearings(rubber on my old ones seem ok) new ones are a new design.

the sportlines cause a few more rattles.
add get new track rod ends(renault only) and maybe steering rack bushes (after inspection[)

best thing to do 1st is just 4 new dampers and track rod ends. take it from there.
am getting new tyres (yokohama ad08)on offer at k tec racing(£408)

for your renault parts get them from wests renault on here (01223 370720 colin) he a nice man very helpful, wont be able to beat his prices. he can give u advise too.

(the braided hoses not make much difference really).
am learning as i go on.

hope this has been helpful.

QUOTE=Chrissy D;9418663]
Hey guys. just a bit of advice really. i have a clio 182 and was wondering on your advice on where to start in terms of modifying it. It currently has a pirtek exhaust and and an air induction kit but apart from that its pretty standard.
It already has got enough power for now so was just wondering the best way to improve it in terms of handling? Have a fairly limited budget. help and advice would be much appreciated.​
[/QUOTE]