ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on Purchase of P1 172

Peugeot 306 GTi6
Greetings all.

I currently own a 306 and i have on the lookout for a deal on a quick car.

I have come across a Phase 1 172. I am going to post the information i have already posted on my pug car forum.

I'd be greatful if anyone could give me some advice even if its just "stay well clear"

I have been and will continue to read this forum for information about clios to help me decide if its something i might take on.

From what i've read so far standard p1's are hard to come buy. I dont really want to see a possible nice car end up in the scrap yard if it can be saved.

All depends if it really is going to be worth it or not

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a faster car.

I’m in no rush to buy a faster car and the longer i wait the more money i have, currently about 1500 if i was to buy within the next month.

I may not actually buy a newer car (to probably run alongside the derv) but I’m just interested in keeping my eye open for a deal.

ANYWAY back to the topic in question.

I have been offered a Clio 172 W reg, with 108k on the clock.

I don’t actually know much about the car I’m finding out today.

My mate who knows his mate blah blah anyway the owner of the car's father is apparently minted so we suspect the car has been well looked after...

However the problem is it’s been stood for 2 years. The asking price is 1,500.

Can i ask what people’s opinions are of Phase1 Clio 172's? are they valuable? Are they likely to be the phase of choice (i.e. we like phase 1's or 3's)

I will try and get some pictures of the actual car itself.

I know the following:

- Lady owner (i believe from new)
- stood for the last 2 years (outside)
- was dirty inside/mould etc from being stood outside (has since been cleaned and I’ve not yet inspected the car)
- Apparently no rust
- DOES have an MOT
- no tax
- does run and the engine apparently sounds decent. But that is going to be investigated more today by said friend.

I am just looking for honest opinions, preferably based on experience or knowledge of said car).

E.g - "dont touch it, it will have eaten itself over the last 2 years" - "it will need xyz as it will have been stood for xyz etc" -

Obviously I know it needs a service and an oil change. But if I was looking to purchase I’d keep it off the road and fix it up nice and proper over a few months.

[/essay]

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
  Peugeot 306 GTi6
Right i've been to look at this car (i dont have pics but my other mate who i cant get hold of atm has some pics)

The car.. well its not too bad. It will need respray on the front bumper. Has a nice footsized (but not a foot) in the bottom sill-area of the drivers door.

Big issue for me personally (as cosmetic stuff can be sorted) is the immobiliser doesn't work properly. Which i believe has been bypassed as the car does start (factory fitted immobiliser)

Central locking: Car wont lock with the fob, but will if you push the button on the dash.

It has after market OZ Racing alloys. 1 Kerb'd but others are not too bad.

I have been told the guy will let it go for a grand.

It started fine, albeit a bit lumpy on idle (told its just old fuel in there, which i believe)

The rest of the bodywork has the odd dint and scratch but nothing im too fussed about. Bonet and wings are plastic so i doubt they'd be to expensive to replace anyway if i needed too.

Another issue for me (along with whatever this immobiliser issue is) is there is zero service history.

Basically, it could be a billy bargin to do-up and sell later for more money or it could end up being a money pit (well duh. the car is cheap after all)

Normally i'd be inclined to walk away but my mate is sound when it comes to cars and hes very honest with his opinion and so far he said he'd be happy to buy it if it was him. (for anyone that remembers/cares my mate who is helping me with this is the guy who got his M3 kicked in by some scum chav in a thread i did a while back)

He also knows information about the previous owner (as mentioned before a lady driver who we believe serviced it properly due to them being minted)

I have the reg now so im going to run some checks on it see if i can find anything.

Anyone recommend any good sites to check reg's ?

i WILL get some pics when i get hold of my mate which will hopefully add more to the "buy it/risk it" "dont buy it".

Opinions welcome

R26
tbh you cant go wrong with a grand, your right though immobiliser issue is a bit of a problem? why has it been bypassed? oh and all clio sports are lumpy on idle. an rs tuner will sort that though :)

Ph 1 172
if its going to be your daily...walk away sounds like a money pit to me (just my gut feeling)

if its going to be a track day toy where you can spend lots of money on it then might be worth a shot..but even still they are quite cheap to buy minters now!

Peugeot 306 GTi6
thank you all for your feedback :)

Daily.. i dont know. I'd like to say its a weekend car but i have a feeling i'll like it too much and it will become my daily.

My plan would be to buy it, then spend a few months getting bodywork sorted out, get cambelt done and serviced. Run it for abit make sure its in tip top condition and depending how i feel after that i might sell it.

Dont know if i'd actually get my money back on it but at least i'm hopefully saving the car :)

Iceberg 172
If i'm totally honest... it sounds like you're on a tight budget... I'd walk away, wait till you have about £2000 and get a nice one with history.

Peugeot 306 GTi6
i dont know why it was bypassed. I was told it was faulty and the garage did something to get past it so it could be driven.

There is a lot of risk and uncertainty and i dont know if i want to risk it.

Also for maybe double that i could by a much better 172 with all the work already done to it and have some history. Or even buy a 306 GTi-6/Rallye

one to ponder

Peugeot 306 GTi6
If i'm totally honest... it sounds like you're on a tight budget... I'd walk away, wait till you have about £2000 and get a nice one with history.

Correct, im only on a tight budget because im going to america on sunday for 3 weeks holiday. Thats going to cost me around 2k inc flights so im just a little short at the moment.

This is the only reason im considering because i doubt it will be here when i get back.

Iceberg 172
Correct, im only on a tight budget because im going to america on sunday for 3 weeks holiday. Thats going to cost me around 2k inc flights so im just a little short at the moment.

This is the only reason im considering because i doubt it will be here when i get back.

Let another mug buy it and spend a fortune putting it right and then not getting it back once they want to sell it as there's no history.

If someone is buying it for a track **** then fair play... or buying it to split... But splitting things is a lot of work for not a lot of return imo.

Peugeot 306 GTi6
ah right ok.

Thank you all for your experienced comments about these cars.

I guess it comes back to the old saying. If its too good to be true. then it probably is (or something)

.. sigh quote fail :(

I personally think if it wasn't for the Immobiliser/central locking fail then I'd probably take it and risk it. But combine those 2 possibly major problems I don't think its worth the risk.

I'm an IT man, i dont have the skills to strip one so i wont be doing that either.

Titanium 182
To give you an idea I sold my mint as f**k ph1 about 2 months ago with 68k on it for £2850.

It was really mint though.

phase 2 172
Theres some cheap ph2s going on eBay with higher miles on. They must be worth a lot in parts to. Theres one on piston heads for 1750!!! try it for 1500.

I have had 2 phase 1's in black and i loooved them. I would be worried about immob fault as i wouldnt imagine it is easy to by pass if i am honest. Does it have a laserline alarm? or did it work off the key?

dont forget the all important cambelts on 172s cost quite a lot.

Peugeot 306 GTi6
How much to get a cambelt/kit changed?

Wouldnt be doing it myself.

Looking at a Grand for the car. If it wasnt for the immobiliser i'd probably take it and see what happens.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I sold my one for £ 1600 and it was in great condition . But that was to my dad so gave him a good price .................... and now want it back lol

Peugeot 306 GTi6
sigh, just had an email from my mate dave with some more infos

Hi mate,

Just had a word with the previous owner – the key needs programming for the car. That should fix the central locking/alarm/immobiliser issue. Apparently the bird kept loosing her keys and this one isn’t programmed! The guys at the garage have bypassed it temporarily...

It has been looked after, serviced and all that, but no paperwork with it.

Any thoughts?

Me!

Peugeot 306 GTi6
yep screw it. very correct.

Even if i get a good deal and I know its good condition due to having contact with previous owner and i know the guy whose selling it. Doesnt mean i'll be able to shift it on in due time.

Peugeot 306 GTi6
haha. I might just be a maverik and get it for s***s and giggles. Fix up all the bodywork and start some service history and see if i can make what i spend on it in 6/8 months :p

Peugeot 306 GTi6
yeah your right, i wont.

Being stood for 2 years is just too much of a risk.

Thank you all for putting up with my rampant decision changes and all the info that keeps coming out.

You've all been a great help and stopped me making a potential bad choice

Betty Big Bum R26
Lack of service history is not always a major problem in my eyes, if it's only had 2 owners, see if you can trace the history for it- likely hood is the lady owner would have always taken it to the same place. Try renault and see if they have any info on the reg. You can buy a duplicate book and get it restamped.