ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice Please - Un-Warped Discs?

Clio 172 Cup
I'm looking for some advice on my brakes; which appeared to have warped discs and now have "got better" by themselves.

Basically, I fitted some new Brembo HCs onto used DS2500 just before a trackday at Oulton. I managed to do some road miles to wear them in a bit, but I didn't do the same heat-cycling-thing as I would normally do when fitting new discs & pads.

Brake performance seemed very good on road and initially really good on track. However, after lunch I started getting pretty severe juddering/vibration through the wheels on braking; which felt like the discs were warped. This carried on for the rest of the day; juddering not too bad at the start of each session and getting worse when the brakes were hot.

I have been driving on the road for the last few weeks and the brakes have got progressively smoother. However, I assumed that this was because I had not got anything like the heat you would get from a track and that the discs still would need replacing. So this Sunday, I decided to find a quiet road and do repeated emergency stops from 60mph(+) to really get them up to temperature. Amazingly I just ended up getting brake fade, but no juddering.

Can I assume that the discs have somehow "faced" themselves or the pads have worn into them better now? Would this happen?

If so, does anyone need some Brand New Brembo HCs and Pagid Blues :S

Cheers,

Andy

I very much doubt you warped your discs.

Chances are, you glazed your pads and that's why they have got better.

Basically too much heat I think, the pads just can't handle what you are doing to them. I did it to some Mintex pads after a taster session at Snetterton. I then upgraded to DS2500s.

If you are glazing DS2500s, then I would suggest an upgrade. I have found Yellow Stuff to be rather good in my 106. They take a little heating up, but found them great once warm.

PB172
Glazing is the raising of the resin the brake pad compound I think isn't it? Too much eat and it surfaces and coats the pads in a glaze.

When I was at work experience we occasionally had the pads and disks out and ran light sand paper over them to rough them up... Not sure if this is a good idea but I just did as I was told haha...

Clio 172 Cup
So it sounds like my discs are probably ok?

If so, do you think that adding some cooling to my brakes will probably be enough to reduce some of the fade and prevent glazing again?

Possibly dude. I took out my fogs and fed ducting into the wheel arch from there.

It could just be that you need a better pad. Are you pretty hard on your brakes?

Clio 172 Cup
To be fair it was my mate who warped them!! I think he probably over brakes/brake early while I'm quite a late braker.

I've removed the fogs, but not yet got round to putting the ducting in.