ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice plz, been offered half price sky

172 cup TT
Hi guys,

Now im a blo0dy cynical person, dont really believe anyone ever when it comes to selling me something... BUT for some reason this chap has really got me interested and i'm being pulled in...

I just had Virgin installed and not really happy and still within the 28 day money back thingie and have been in touch with a chap who is claiming to be able to get me half price Sky... I pay him £60 and he gives me a code which i give to the Sky people when ordering and its all half price, and really does save a fortune.. Problem is we are at stale mate.. i dont want to hand over £60 until i know its legit, and, fair enough the guy wont want to give me the code without being paid unless i do a runner after ordering and its legit!. He has suggested paypal, and business transaction so i can claim back if it doesnt work!... Any thoughts?

Thanks and here is the deal:

Free Sky+HD box
Free standard set-up (save £30)
Half price Sky TV for a year (save up to £312)
Half price HD pack for a year (save £61.50)

Plus you can add on optional extras:

Half price Sky Broadband Unlimited* for a year (save £45) when taken Sky Talk with Sky Talk Line Rental
Half price Multiroom for a year (save £61.50)

* Customers must be in a Sky On Net area to receive Sky Broadband. Up to 20Mb broadband availability is subject to location. Speeds vary with location and line quality.

What could this mean for your monthly bill? Here are some examples:

Sky Starter Bundle: 1 Sky TV entertainment pack and HD only £14.88 per month (normally £29.75)
Sky Movies Bundle: All 6 Sky TV entertainment packs, Sky Movies pack and HD only £25.38 per month (normally £50.75)
Sky Sports Bundle: All 6 Sky TV entertainment packs, Sky Sports pack and HD only £27.50 per month (normally £55.00)
Sky World: All Sky TV packs and HD only £31.13 per month (normally £62.25)

BMW F21 125d
I got Sky on a half price TV & HD for 12 months deal last year, and it is a good at half price price if that makes sense! At full price I would consider it to be expensive.

Pay him via PayPal, but under goods/services so he has to pay PayPal Fee's to recieve the money as you'll get buyer protection then. If you pay him via PayPal gift you've got no protection at all. TBH it does sound a good deal, and it's probably worth you covering his fee's. So say pay him £62, and if it all goes Pete Tong, PayPal will get you your £60 back. £2 is nothing to lose.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Did this guy offer you this code out of a trench coat? You make him sound like he's just some dodgy bloke.

Pay him via PayPal, but under goods/services so he has to pay PayPal Fee's to recieve the money as you'll get buyer protection then. If you pay him via PayPal gift you've got no protection at all. TBH it does sound a good deal, and it's probably worth you covering his fee's. So say pay him £62, and if it all goes Pete Tong, PayPal will get you your £60 back. £2 is nothing to lose.

That. But you'll actually get all £62 back.

He's probably selling someones friends and family codes or something.

172 cup TT
Damn you guys, thought it would be a "dont touch it with barge pole" type thing....

The chap is a complete unknown to me!. I was geeking out looking for a good projector for sale and came accross a classified ad', looked at it and away we go. Been talking to him during the day today.

I dont mind paying him the couple of quid fee if its legit but as he isnt a "business" and theres no actual Product as such wouldnt it get messy with paypal protection?. Ah its only £60, maybe worth the risk.....

Clio
Do you know anyone with Sky? See what the friends and family discount is they can get you, bet its pretty much the same.

172 cup TT
cheers mace - but doesnt friends and family only apply to people who WORK for Sky and not just a regular punter that has Sky installed?.. I dont know anyone who works for sky thats all

don't
also check out quidco deals for sky....

but yea as said above he's selling his friends and family codes + works for sky, seen them going before for £50

172 cup TT
Cheers - just asked him if its ok to pay via Goods/Services on paypal as a tester to see what he is made of and he didnt flinch.. Was no problem at all...hmm.. Maybe worth a try then!. If it works then, i can be the lab rat and pass him this way in case anyone else wants a similar deal..

Do you really need sky? The majority of people that I know with sky say how I should get it, yet every time I am at their house we find nothing to watch?

It must be an employee friends and family discount. Call Sky and ask them about it. You don't have to give your name, just say some bloke is trying to sell you a code. You don't want to get into a situation where hes doing something dodgy and they withdraw all your discounts.

172 cup TT
Naa mate i dont "need" anything really.. id be happy with freeview.. but internet is a biggie to me, and thats why i went virgin but it really isnt good where i am(roughly 250K per sec downloads!). Im very suprised about it as i previously was virgin(NTL/telewest) for 10 years and it was superb... I prefer Skys Tellie, and i like to get a good deal on things. If im paying £20 for broadband on its own (BT land line rental + xyz isp) then id rather be paying a few quid more for the full sky package(all 6 entertainment packs+ movies) and HD and BBand and sky+... My thoughts with the Broadband is that even though its "up to" 20 meg with sky im confident i will be getting at least say 5! which is roughly 700k per sec download anyway so its win-win-win.

172 cup TT
It must be an employee friends and family discount. Call Sky and ask them about it. You don't have to give your name, just say some bloke is trying to sell you a code. You don't want to get into a situation where hes doing something dodgy and they withdraw all your discounts.

thats a good point spoonie - imagine if i signed up for the bigboybarry package and they withdrew the discount so i was stuck to £80 odd quid per month...

Mk5 golf gti
we pay 36 iirc with full hd and multi room, nothing for the boxes or instalation etc we dont have sports channels though

we just exchange emails threatining to cancel then get loads of offers thrown at you

my dads been doing it for years with them

172 cup TT
thats a good deal dunn.. unfortunately im not currently with Sky.. maybe if i threaten to leave virgin then might do the same thing :) ha

There may be a minimum contract (12 months half price, followed by 12 months full?), or a minimum package combo (highest broadband & calls package?).

Got a link to the auction classified?

172 ph2
my missus works for sky - they do have friends and family deals, and a code sounds about right - to set it up, the sky employee enters their details and those of the new customer - and that's the catch, the new account has to be from someone who hasn't had sky installed in their house for the last 12 months... so our pals can't just cancel the account that's in the blokes name then take out a new account in their other halfs.

Ask him how he got the code, how come he has this promo and if he works for Sky.

172 cup TT
Sorry been decorating - Cheers china... so your saying i will need to give HIS details too when i sign up?.. he said that i only need to give the code he gives me and say it was given to me by a friend and that will work

Also there hasnt been Sky installed in either my name or in the house we just moved into before so hopefully all will be fine,... hopefully!

172 cup TT
im suprised you say that, i think its good and easily the best option we have in this country at the mo'

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Do you really need sky? The majority of people that I know with sky say how I should get it, yet every time I am at their house we find nothing to watch?

Tis all about BT vision. though I am biased.

172 cup TT
an update guys - well ill be damned, its worked... i didnt end up going with the £60 guy either, found a code for £35.... I have signed up and have all of sky for about £30 per month.. actually sorry its £38 instead of £70 as i have gone with skys land line and their unlimited broadband(non capped option), + HD, sky+, all 12 movies, all entertainment packages etc etc... seems like there are some non-con artists in this world! :) thanks for all your input lads, i was expecting to have lost that 35 quid!

Last edited:
  Sunflower Ph1 172
an update guys - well ill be damned, its worked... i didnt end up going with the £60 guy either, found a code for £35.... I have signed up and have all of sky for about £30 per month.. actually sorry its £38 instead of £70 as i have gone with skys land line and their unlimited broadband(non capped option), + HD, sky+, all 12 movies, all entertainment packages etc etc... seems like there are some non-con artists in this world! :) thanks for all your input lads, i was expecting to have lost that 35 quid!

where did you get the code from, looking to cahnge from Virgin to Sky at the moment, but it's pretty pricey.

172 ph2
glad you got it sorted chap, missus said she didn't have the F&F deal avail at the moment so sounds like you got the best deal going.

172 cup TT
Bren: haha, god knows whats going on in your posts there but thats made me chuckle, dont know what to make of it haha.. epic.. anyway, they are on Ebay.. problem is, you need to have it ordered by 16th of june.. so get your skates on

China: yeh cheers chap, thanks for your help anyway, appreciated