ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aerocatch fitment

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
As above really chaps...

For those of you who have fitted them, whats the best method, and whats the preferred location for the pins? Any tips you can pass on would be most appreciated. Before I get drilling and ruin everything! :wink:

Even some photos of your cars with them fitted would help!

I used two hole saws the same size as each rounded end, the draw straight lines to cut between them with a grinder.
E445E490-12DB-4FDE-AAFF-783AD570D0F2_zps4okmrjsq.jpg

fd1837f29b71caaba6ce9a3aa0bc6c54_zpsenif28bg.jpg

Only got a pic of one pin
ADCE8DFC-67FA-4B36-905A-3DFFE404F3BB_zpsbfbzjvyi.jpg

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Masking tape your matks before you cut.
Measure twice, cut once.
I would draw a template around the catch itself and place it around on the bonnet where it looks best.
Avoid the double skin under the bonnet to.

I used the a Dremel with metal cutting discs and it was fine. Underside is messy but you never see it.

I use the square holes in the front bar so the clips sit on the top of a curve and are flush. There's more pics in my project thread here.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Interesting this came up, as I'm about to transfer mine to a new GRP bonnet so will be going through this again.

Just take your time and as said, measure and remeasure and remeasure again. I read somewhere that placing them on the outer edges where the bonnet raises behind the headlight area can distort the bonnet when it's locked down, so I tried to get them inside of the bonnet crease.

I found one pre-drilled hole for the first pin and measured for the location of the pin on the other side until I got two locations that worked. Probably want the pins fairly plumb straight too, I had to mess about afterward trying to get them angled correctly so they would enter the catches smoothly as the bonnet came down.

Then checked this location would work for the aero catch locations on the bonnet.

With pins fitted, small drop off the (steel) bonnet will mark the location, pilot drill these holes. Be aware of your drilling angles to ensure you keep it all aligned.

Tape on the templates/paper templates to the top of the bonnet where this hole dissects the expected pin entry holes. I used a permanent marker that bleed through to some masking tape i had already applied to the bonnet in that location - worked a treat and helps prevent slippage whilst cutting and drilling.

Take your time and cut as you see fit, I used a Dremel. Remember, it's easier to nibble away at the body work until you get a snug fit for the catch, not so easy to add it back :)

Don't drill holes that are too oversized for the catch screws, they're pretty tight to the edge of the cut so use the smallest size drill you can get away with.

I painted all the edges of the bare metal work to prevent rust.

The lock nuts that came with my pack where crap and rusted quickly, I shall be replacing these with some new s.steel ones. Smear some grease or something on them.

Tweak the height of the pins until the catches lock without being forced, oil the catches.

I used some cheap edging off of eBay to finish the cut edges.

Hope this helps a little.

Ian

Some pics....
d818157078de16c8de12d1cd1fb68d39.jpg

49eaf93e4f51e7f4d04f90a909a0a136.jpg

89fbd2a4bc4695f46fe8959e571e4b73.jpg

9555b156d7956261fbc257bcd69ab844.jpg

4d6bfb677114c57df8c49b98792c944e.jpg

8436f7b44a256545136327f237531d40.jpg

e46aa8eb709016a479974b6f290ace66.jpg

b9fec80f0c4f6d663d4e6cd6f1855eab.jpg

Last edited:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting this came up, as I'm about to transfer mine to a new GRP bonnet so will be going through this again.

Just take your time and as said, measure and remeasure and remeasure again. I read somewhere that placing them on the outer edges where the bonnet raises behind the headlight area can distort the bonnet when it's locked down, so I tried to get them inside of the bonnet crease.

I found one pre-drilled hole for the first pin and measured for the location of the pin on the other side until I got two locations that worked. Probably want the pins fairly plumb straight too, I had to mess about afterward trying to get them angled correctly so they would enter the catches smoothly as the bonnet came down.

Then checked this location would work for the aero catch locations on the bonnet.

With pins fitted, small drop off the (steel) bonnet will mark the location, pilot drill these holes. Be aware of your drilling angles to ensure you keep it all aligned.

Tape on the templates/paper templates to the top of the bonnet where this hole dissects the expected pin entry holes. I used a permanent marker that bleed through to some masking tape i had already applied to the bonnet in that location - worked a treat and helps prevent slippage whilst cutting and drilling.

Take your time and cut as you see fit, I used a Dremel. Remember, it's easier to nibble away at the body work until you get a snug fit for the catch, not so easy to add it back :smile:

Don't drill holes that are too oversized for the catch screws, they're pretty tight to the edge of the cut so use the smallest size drill you can get away with.

I painted all the edges of the bare metal work to prevent rust.

The lock nuts that came with my pack where crap and rusted quickly, I shall be replacing these with some new s.steel ones. Smear some grease or something on them.

Tweak the height of the pins until the catches lock without being forced, oil the catches.

I used some cheap edging off of eBay to finish the cut edges.

Hope this helps a little.

Ian

Some pics....
d818157078de16c8de12d1cd1fb68d39.jpg

49eaf93e4f51e7f4d04f90a909a0a136.jpg

89fbd2a4bc4695f46fe8959e571e4b73.jpg

9555b156d7956261fbc257bcd69ab844.jpg

4d6bfb677114c57df8c49b98792c944e.jpg

8436f7b44a256545136327f237531d40.jpg

e46aa8eb709016a479974b6f290ace66.jpg

b9fec80f0c4f6d663d4e6cd6f1855eab.jpg

That's great Ian, thank you very much!

The only thing I can't get my head around is once the pins are fitted, then trying to locate, and find the correct place to cut into the bonnet!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
That's great Ian, thank you very much!

The only thing I can't get my head around is once the pins are fitted, then trying to locate, and find the correct place to cut into the bonnet!

Think when I helped Fletcher fit his we fitted the pins then put a bit of marker pen on them and pressed the bonnet down.