ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

After some advice - Looking for a mk1 1.816v

Hi, I hope Ive posted this in the right section. Im looking to buy a Mk1 16v clio.

I just wondered what year do they go to? Ive heard the cambelt can be a pain on these how hard is it?

Im going to be viewing a few over the next few months. Ive bought cars that ive wanted before and usually ended up buying the first or second one ive seen. Its always come back to sting me. So with this I want to make sure I get a nice one. I used to own a 1.4rt years ago and know about the common rust problems on the rear arches but is there anything else to look out for on the mk1 clio, and in particular the 1.8 16v

Cambelt is a pain as its a big engine and not much space. Places will do it cheap £150 is the going rate I think.
Nothing much to look for if you already know where there rust is just check the engine runs ok all the way to the limit check it limits out at the right RPm unless you want a chipped one. Check the oil has been changed and its been serviced and it should be fine.

Most problem ie it jumping out of gear are easy fix with new mounts etc.

edde said:
Cambelt is a pain as its a big engine and not much space. Places will do it cheap £150 is the going rate I think.
Nothing much to look for if you already know where there rust is just check the engine runs ok all the way to the limit check it limits out at the right RPm unless you want a chipped one. Check the oil has been changed and its been serviced and it should be fine.

Most problem ie it jumping out of gear are easy fix with new mounts etc.

Cheers mate, Im working as an apprentice mechanic for my dad (at the age of 22) :S lets just say my intended carrer didnt go to plan so cost wouldnt really be a factor. :rasp: