ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

aftermarket exhaust system or not?

clio182 sport ff
Hi!
Just became the proud owner of a '04 182 clio sport yesterday :D and of course have a couple of questions...
The car has an aftermarket exhaust (can't see the make anywhere), which is really booming at motorway speeds and actually knocks against the underside of the car in town badly!
Question is should I look at another system that fits better - if so which one? Magnex, Blue Flame(??) or similar (I commute 140km a day, so I do not what a loud system, but a pleasant rasp under acceleration)
OR
Should I put an original Renault system back on? What does that sound like?
All advice appreciated
M

Maz

LY 200
Any pics ?

My magnex knocks on my axel .. somthing to do with the renault mounts .. currenty waiting for ANOTHER imporved system .. lol

clio182 sport ff
Can fix these later today...
The system differs greatly from Renault and other aftermarket systems in that directly after the cat is a single muffler and then the system runs straight through to the tailpipes.

This is what happened...
When the car went for its MOT (here in Sweden where I live), the exhaust note was too loud (!). So, the Renault garage changed the muffler of the aftermarket system to a different make (Simons).
When I tested the car, the exhaust note was fine, but there was a loud banging in town, so the system was knocking against the suspension.
I asked them to do something about this and I think, though am not sure, what they did was to indent the system so that it would not knock anymore.
However, this I assume would have altered the air flow and now has resulted in a resonance at almost all speeds!

I will be in discussion with them next week, but I cannot take the car back as the garage is 700km away.

So my question is - if I insist that they replace with a Renault original system, is this really the best option, or are there better fitting, better sounding aftermarket systems.

VW ....
^just make sure they are a good fitting centre ,you hear good & bad with powerflow .

wouldn't personally put orginal back on ,there are better aftermarket out ther IMO but like anything depends how much your also willing to spend .

I can recomend Pro-speed but they are in cardiff ,you get a good exhaust for what you pay .

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
^just make sure they are a good fitting centre ,you hear good & bad with powerflow .

wouldn't personally put orginal back on ,there are better aftermarket out ther IMO but like anything depends how much your also willing to spend .

I can recomend Pro-speed but they are in cardiff ,you get a good exhaust for what you pay .

He lives in Sweden LOL.

Lionel Richie
you live in Sweden!!! where??? my girfriend is just outside Goteborg!

i can bring one of our exhausts over with me! ;)

clio182 sport ff
I live in Lund (approx 300km from Gothenberg)

I would actually get any exhaust delivered to my parents in Bristol and either fetch it myself or DHL it. So UK supplier is not a problem.

More concerned that any aftermarket system will fit properly (as the one on the car clearly does not since it bangs against the chassis) and not be too loud.

System I have is called F1-X-sportline (3"). I thinks its Japanese.

Cupped Clio 182
Well,a couple of mates of mine rally and they use Haywood & scott. They make the system to the car and will ask you how loud you want it and what the car is used for. They will need the car for about a week as each one is made to each car. I will myself be dropp`in off my clio in a couple of weeks. Also they don't cost much more than an off the shelf..........Rooney.