ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aftermarket stereo fitment problem

Clio 1.4 16v Dynamiq
Hi, all. I have a 54 plate clio 1.4 16v Dynamique. A CD got stuck in the OEM CD player so I decided to fit an aftermarket mp3 CD player. All seemed fine until after about 4 mins into the 1st drive since fitting it, the mpg value numbers (38.8) started to flash & then the steering went heavy. Very weird, so I turned the stereo off & the mpg figures stopped flashing & the steering went back to normal but at speed the steering can be extremely light which Ive not noticed b4. I disconnected the stereo & reconnected it & upon reconnecting it the engine manage light came on. My mate has an OBD2 scanner & fault code P0500 came up, vehicle speed sensor which could explain the varying steering force but I can't see a stereo having much affect. I've looked on the gearbox rear under the throttle body but there's just a hole shaped like a capital D. (I've read about a different/incorrect replacement gearbox problem but this has original OEM gearbox).Can anyone shed any light?!? Speedo is working fine, starts a bit lumpy when hot but is ok at cold starts. Alternator charges at 14.5v & above, up to 15.3v in fact. The last cold spell we had the steering stopped working altogether, the steering light didnt go out & steering was heavy but after a few days it returned to normal. The battery was a little low after an overnight cold spell (12.2v). Also, after a long journey (50+ miles) I would try to start it warm but it wouldn't fire up, it just turned over & over. After leaving it for 10-15mins it would fire up like normal!! My understanding is that a battery is just there for starting & soon as the engine fires then the alternator takes over. Can anyone confirm or correct this belief of mine. Sorry its a little long, I have problems that are connected with each other. VS sensor, TDC Sensor, ABS Sensor, battery, alternator, who knows. Hopefully someone on here will know more than me!

Clio 197
it sounds like you have a few issues that may/may not be connected. It is normal for the steering to go lighter when travelling faster.

So other than that your having issues starting when hot?