ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air con recharge

Clio 197
Anyone ever had this done and is it worth it?

I am thinking of getting it done as my windscreen demisters just mist the screen up more for a while until it finally clears it.

Turn them on and it just blows out a load more mist and makes it 10x worse.

Never heard of an air con recharge before but apparently it needs done every 2 years.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
It is nice to have the aircon working, as it does demist windows quickly. First thing, is your aircon system empty (no gas) ? If it is, & you go for a re-charge, you should really have a leak detection done, as you could pay for a charge.... drive off happy with it working, then the next day... all the gas has leaked out. As Aircon systems should hold there gas, if it doesnt then there's a problem, my focus held its gas for 12 years before i had to interupt the system to change the Air-con compressor due to it leaking pag oil.

So, if you get a re-charge, ask for a leak detection aswell, might cost you a little more, but better in the long run.

182cup & 172 racecar
How do you know that then?

I'm sure that if they went to fill it, and it was empty, it's pretty obvious it's leaking.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
The places like kwik fit, & ATS for instance, just get giving the basic F-Gas city & guilds Qualification, to be able to use R134 refrigerent, some of them possibly may have the training for Leak detection,& the equipment, but more often than not, anything else on the system that isnt working, they dont do any furter diagnosis, for instance, if you say your Air-con isnt working, & it is full with Gas, if you go there & they see its got gas pressure, they wont touch any other part pf the system.

There all good for a basic recharge for the price :)

172 Race Car
Well my ac was working so i knew it didnt have a leak. A simple recharge was all i needed. They took out 350g of gas and put 550g back in. Was much colder after. Also cost me £35 back in the summer on a staff rate so £28 normal punter price is bargain

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Hi jay, yes you had a basic recharge. They should do a Evacuation of the system, then fresh pag oil, then the correct Quantity of R134 Refrigerent. Your Aircon would still work with just 350grams of gas in it, but as you said, wouldnt be as cold, especially on a summers day, on the Aircon system is a pressure switch, so if the car isnt to low on gas, the system will still switch on. My focus, holds 740g's of gas, (big system) when i changed the compressor, it only has 300g's of gas in it, still worked, but no where near cold enough.

172 Race Car
Yes they did vac it and at my request for over an hour.

I know how it all works mate, was factory trained back in the '90's