ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air filter too loud?!

Clio sport 182
Hey, I've just swapped my 182 to a 197... When I drove it,it was very loud. It had a scorpion exhaust,which the garage changed back to original thinking it was that,but it's not. The car has a new k&n air filter would this be making it loud when driving? If so what's the best thing to do?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hey, I've just swapped my 182 to a 197... When I drove it,it was very loud. It had a scorpion exhaust,which the garage changed back to original thinking it was that,but it's not. The car has a new k&n air filter would this be making it loud when driving? If so what's the best thing to do?
Is it an open cone filter or just a k&n panel filter in the standard air box?

clio sport 172 ph1
The only 2 filters proven to make power are the ktec and itg maxogen everything else is ment to lose it due to heat soak

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Get a video up of it running. IMO, the 197 has a deep grumble (almost droning) with the standard set up.

Listerine & Poledo
Any kind of open-cone intake is going to sound chavalicious, whilst at the same time robbing you of a few HP.

Well done at ditching the exhaust too, you may be the first person on CS looking to make their car sound LESS hideous :)

Clio sport 182
Thanks... My 182 sounded amazing with just enough sound, I do like abit of roar but I like my 197 to look awesome & yet understated ... Power outdoes noise anytime!:tongueout:

I had a cone filter on my car when I got it. the first thing I did was remove it and fit a standard airbox as it sounded crap.

The cone filter then went on ebay, and I got more for that than I paid for the standard airbox.

I will get around to fitting a standard exhaust as well. Loud exhaust sound great on engines with 5 cylinders or more, but they rarely sound much good on an inline 4

Clio sport 182
Does anyone know where I can get an air filter box? Non on eBay or scrap yard! Thinking of getting the cone out & putting original box & filter back in.. Would an oem panel filter still be loud or just an original filter be better? Sorry not really mechanical.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Imo either get an oem filter or the likes of a itg filter. Noise wise, no not loud at all

Suzuki Jimny
  Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Foam filters flow less well in general than OEM paper ones. Cotton gauze should flow better than paper won't filter such small particles

Clio sport 182
Well found out its going to cost alot, as the guy who fitted it has literally took all pipes & everything out & left just the cone filter!! Is there any quieter cones or anything that just fit to the big K&N single pipe?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Well found out its going to cost alot, as the guy who fitted it has literally took all pipes & everything out & left just the cone filter!! Is there any quieter cones or anything that just fit to the big K&N single pipe?

Have you spoke to the guy you bought the car from? They might still have the parts?

Clio sport 182
Yea unfortunately they haven't got them anymore, Prob sold them all on! Well if anyone out there that has the whole pipes/airbox give me a shout!:wink: