ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air intake Temp.

Suzuki SV1000S

Does it make a massive difference if your sucking in Hot air rather than cold air and why?

Also is lots of hot air better than a small bit of cold air?

Focus ST

Hot air is less dense so you will reduce the volumetric efficiency of your engine - i.e there will be less air per unit volume sucked in, meaning less oxygen to burn the fuel with and therefore you wil lose power

[Edited by Lucas on 10 May 2004 at 10:25am]

Just to give you an idea, air at 0 degreesC is 10% denser than air at 30 degreesC - this is why your car will feel quicker in the winter, and a bit sluggish in the summer.

Colder the better performance wise! But you cant rag a car when its cold! Yuo need a cold air feed running to your filter so that the air getting directly sucked in is as cool as poss....

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Lucas on 10 May 2004

Hot air is less dense so you will reduce the volumetric efficiency of your engine - i.e there will be less air per unit volume sucked in, meaning less oxygen to burn the fuel with and therefore you wil lose power
The volumetric efficiency of the engine will not change!

Exactly the same volume of air is sucked in, but because of the increased heat of the air, it contains less air as you have said.

The ECU knows by the inlet temp sensor to add less fuel to ensure not too much fuel is left unburnt, and so less power is made. Some cars get affected badly by this (the 172 is pretty bad), and others seem to hardly be affected at all.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Ye I really noticed it last summer when it was hitting 30 degrees. Felt really sluggish.

I get it all the time - i need to sort out my cold air feed and get my radiator fan fixed because it doenst even come on! MY car flies when its cold but is definately sluggish when really hot - and smelly for that matter. The difference is amazing.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Now you all know how I feel living down here in deepest darkest HOTTEST africa...and then just to make things even better, Im at altitude (1500m above sealevel) so my poor little 172 only make 115hp @ wheels as standard

[Edited by viceroy on 10 May 2004 at 12:04pm]

Suzuki SV1000S

Well I have taken off my cold air feed as there didnt seem to be any air getting in, But for some reason seems much better know, even without an air feed.

It is an enclosed carbon box, similar to viper kit, and I live in central london so sit in alot of traffic, is very weird

Just like Frosty said, VE will not change with temp, your ECR might change and youll have less oxygent to burn, so for the same volume = less power.

The 172 can loose over 10bhp simply by running the 80C+ engine bay temps than the 30-35 ish temps you would get if you ran air sourced from outside the car.

Ive done extensive testing on the 172 with inlet air temps and it makes a massive difference, especially to power around the peak torque RPM...

Suzuki SV1000S

Well really want to get some kind of relocation kit soughted so as to locate the IK between battery and headlight but dont know how to set it up.

Any ideas, K-tec (david) said he cant do it

What have you got, a closed IK?

If so i dont see a problem.....just use large diameter ducting to the front of the car (not those tiny front bumper ducts.

Relocating the filter isnt worth the work and you increase the length of the intake piping.

Suzuki SV1000S

I have a Quickshift Taipan 2 kit. Same as the viper but not foam has like a K&N inside. Trouble is that it is silent and I love the roar you get from an open kit. I have taken the cold air pipe off so am getting a wicked roar at the mo. Just need to get better piping like you said, Not really sure though, am buying a ram air kit off someone for £35 so will see what thats like. I have angle the cold airpipes (2 of them) to the IK just not over the opening completely they are about 1 inch away so the cold air muct still be getting in there at speeds - I would have thought

Focus ST

Oops, got mixed up with volumetric efficiency and less mass of air per unit volume - Ill stick to small words in future!:oops:

Suzuki SV1000S

Think it is 80mm mate

[Edited by George16v on 10 May 2004 at 5:23pm]

Did have a green stuff pipe on there as they seem to be the strongest, just doesnt seem an easy way to get it out to the lower grill without having loads of kinks etc in it

Hmm, pretty small.

Id get some nice wire supported ducting form DT and jublee it to the front, then direct it to the front grille and put a radius trumpet on the end.

Suzuki SV1000S

:confused: never heard of any of those bits mate, except jubilee clip hehe

Could you give me some links/pics etc, would really appreciate it,ta

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i know people have said it doesnt affect volumetric efficiency but surely it does. air expands as it gets hot so you will get less hot air in the same amount of space you would get a lot more cold air. isnt that what volumetric efficiency is all about-filling the cylinders with as much air as possible. you can get less warm air in the cylinders compared to the amount of cold air you can get in there.so surely warm air reduces volumetric efficiency doesnt it?

If you got the performance and tuning blue one go to page 69, if you got the motorsports red one go to page 259.

Thats the stuff.