ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag Deployed

172 Cup
Evening

On the way home from MOT at Rentech (thanks mike) last night i hit a block of wood (probably about 2ft long and 4x4)
It has deployed the drivers Seat airbag and seat belt tensioner and also the rear right passengers seat belt tensioner
At the time of the accident it turned on my stop light, i'm not sure if any other light turned on as i was convinced the wood had destroyed my gearbox etc so i just shut everything off asap with out really having a good look
I got the car recovered and once home i swapped out the damaged wheel and took the car for a quick spin, the car drove fine, no service lights or anything out of the ordinary

I have had a search for an answer to my question but didn't have any joy

So my question is, how do i sort the airbag side of things?

I have brought the car to use for hillclimbs and sprints so the rear seats will be coming out anyway so i am not going to bother sorting the seatbelt there
If i replace the drivers seat could i potentially get away with not having to touch the airbag ECU and just plugging in the replacement seat? seeing as i have no warning lights etc on the dash
I have no idea about the sensors that trigger the airbags but are they one use? i'm concerned that once i have replaced the seat it will just trigger again

The other option is can i ditch the airbag system all together? - without having any extra lights on the dash
i will probably be pulling the system out eventually to get rid of the weight !

any help is really appreciated

Cheers
Rob

Clio 182
Airbag Ecu will need recoding but it's under £30 so no biggie really.
Have a look on eBay.
That's where I get mine done.

Clio 182
If you plug the blown tensioner in then it will probably throw a light on.
It's pointless putting it in as the seatbelt should be locked solid anyway.
Bin it and fit a new one

172 Cup
If you plug the blown tensioner in then it will probably throw a light on.
It's pointless putting it in as the seatbelt should be locked solid anyway.
Bin it and fit a new one
maybe a trip to the scrappy then!
thanks for your help buddy

Clio 2.0 16v 182
From personal experience, the tensioners can be replaced and the air bag lights goes off. This shouldn't be affected by the ecu swap. But for good measure I would get the ecu recoded.