ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag ECU removal.

Clio 172
Hi Guys,

So a quick question. I have read up no how to disable the airbag warning lights with the use of resistors etc but as I don't have the original seats in the car, the passenger airbag has been removed and only the drivers one left if I take the airbag ecu out will there be a risk of the drivers one deploying? I'm guessing that there wouldn't be as there is no electrical current to it so it would effectively be disconnected. The steering wheel is going to be changed in the next few months anyway.

Any thoughts,. suggestions, tips or ideas?

Thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
No there is no chance it would deploy the airbag with the ecu disconnected. I removed all the airbags on mine along with the ecu and all the wiring too. Unless your 100% confident with wiring it's probably not what you want to be doing though as I didn't have any wiring diagrams available, it was all done on gut feeling. I do that sort of stuff day in, day out so felt comfortable enough to do it.

Clio 172
Not fussed about the wiring but I know where the airbag ecu is hence the fact I have seen someone else in their build thread remove it and as I am due an MOT next week I need the airbag lights off, just seems to be the sensible idea.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The mot law is in force about warning lights, so you guys must've been lucky or have a friendly tester. Just take the clocks out and put some black tape over the light. That's easy enough to do.

Assuming it's a ph2? Can't quite make it out in your avatar.

Megane dci 130
Air bag warning light still isn't in force. The "second set" of new reasons for rejection are still not available on the system.

Golf GTD Mk7
Yes it does. You need to have the network reprogrammed via clip ideally. Mick does it very cheap if you did need it doing

Megane dci 130
Air bag ecu is one of the 'main' computers in the network. It won't be able to be removed easily.

It isn't a bulb - it's soldered LED's on the circuit board

You have to take clocks out - dismantle them (take front off, pull the needles off taking note of where they were so they aren't inaccurate when back together, then tape over the lights and re-assemble)

Megane dci 130
Yep, you probably won't be able to remove the bulb though as its a smd. Abit of tape to cover the smd will be fine.

172 ph1
On a PH1, remove the airbag ecu, and associated wiring to the plug. airbag light then goes out. There is about half a dozen wires going up to main loom. i cut these back, and no more airbag light.