ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag Fault - Please Help :(

Clio 172 Mk2
Hey guys

My airbag and service light are on at the moment. I've done the standard soldering of the wires under the seat but the lights are still on. Anyway dads got hold of a diagnostics things today and when we connect it up and read the error code it comes up with DF074, Passenger front airbag circuit 2 open circuit. Has anyone come across this before and have any idea where to check? Where does the front passenger airbag connect up??

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help

Megane dci 130
Faults on the front airbags are less common. The airbag you have at fault is behind the dash on the passengers side. You will need to whip off the dash top (there's a guide on here) and check the connections to the bag it's self. There are no electrical connections between the ecu and this airbag so the problem will either be the ecu, the wiring and connectors to the ecu or bag or the bag itself.

The way I diagnose airbag faults is to put a resistor in place of the airbag as a substitute to see if the fault goes. If it does, it's the bag at fault. If not, it's an ecu/wiring fault.

In my experience with this fault code, it's the airbag or connections to it.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
It's also worth noting not to check the resistance of the airbag. Also don't check the resistance of the circuit with the airbags or ECU connected.

Clio 172 Mk2
absolutely brilliant guys really appreicate you taking the time to reply!! Gives me the information i need instead of going round in circles. Superb, thankyou!! If it is that the bags faulty, will i be ok to buy a replacement off ebay and fit that instead? Am i best disconnecting the battery when checking the connections incase the bag goes off? :/

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Disconnect the battery and leave for 10=15minutes before doing any work on the system.

Hi I had this exact same problem with my clio, same fault and codes. Turned out to be my "squib" was knackered. It seems the squib is the wiring loom behind the steering wheel, what the airbag sits in, just means there is no current going to your steering wheel airbag! Cost me £15 for the squib from the local scrappy and fitted it myself, I was quite chuffed! All the best

Clio 172 Mk2
Right guys just wanted to update everyone and let you know i have replaced the passenger front airbag this morning and it has CURED the problem :) Must have been a fault with the airbag itself. Only cost me £17 for the replacement airbag from ebay and took me about an hour and half to fit it this morning, really easy job!! Just wanted to let anyone know incase they still have the airbag and service light up after trying the usual suspect things!

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Right guys just wanted to update everyone and let you know i have replaced the passenger front airbag this morning and it has CURED the problem :) Must have been a fault with the airbag itself. Only cost me £17 for the replacement airbag from ebay and took me about an hour and half to fit it this morning, really easy job!! Just wanted to let anyone know incase they still have the airbag and service light up after trying the usual suspect things!
£17 include delivery? I'm guessing not because they are meant to come in boxes saying explosives.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They are meant to be in burst proof packaging but have you ever seen an airbag go off of its own accord without an electrical charge?

Most people that send them just don't worry or disclose that they are sending an SRS unit

It's not right... But c'est la vie

Mick

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
They are meant to be in burst proof packaging but have you ever seen an airbag go off of its own accord without an electrical charge?
No I've not. I'm guessing as long as the terminals are isolated in the chances of detonation are very slim.